Granny Flat (QLD)

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Big Will, 18th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Just saw a house that might be of interest in QLD that has on the one title a house and granny flat.

1. Is it possible to lease two properties on one title? If so, is this able to be leased separately if there is no fence between the two dwellings? I am guessing tenants would prefer a fence if I was able to lease them separately.
    2. I would assume a PM will charge me each property separately at their rate and not volume discount for two.
    3. For insurances would I be able to insure both buildings under one insurance or would I require 2 separate insurance policy for LL, building.
    4. The places have separate power so I can assume the tenants will be charged power in this situation.
    5. If the water separate metered two I would assume the same (e.g. charge tenant for excess).
    6. Anything else I should be aware of or consider?

Thanking you all in advanced.

2. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

Yes
    you can rent 2 properties on 1 title seperately.Its generally not the titles that have an impact its whether the certain council area allows renting granny flats or annexe units to seperate tenants.
    Logan does allow it ,
    and ipswich does(but ipswich limits it to 1 bedroom flats only )
    at the moment i dont believe brisbane city council allows it at all

Big Will likes this.
  3. brettc

brettc Well-Known Member

I can't speak for all policies/Insurers however in general you should be able to insure with one building policy but have two landlord policies. With us for example you would take out a RentCoverPlatinum policy (which automatically includes RentCoverUltra which will cover say the main house tenant) and then an additional RentCoverUltra policy to cover the tenant-related risks on the granny flat. Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

Big Will likes this.
  4. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

There is a short window to get approval in Brisbane if the building itself will meet modern building codes. But if you can't/ don't get approval by December there will be no approval. BCC will prosecute hard next year.

Big Will likes this.
  5. Big Will

Thanks Brett, makes sense and assumed it would probably be the case.

I am still in my infant stages at present more of getting an understanding if I was to select that property.

6. Big Will

I will look further into this but are you saying if you don't get approval this year then you will be unable to get approval next year for dual occ?

7. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Correct. At present is possible to get a primary and secondary dwelling approved for rooming accommodation so they can accommodate up to 5 people across both dwellings. That is changing in December

Big Will likes this.