Granny Flat - Possible to divide Granny Flat in to 2 Studio

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by OhMaJuck, 29th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. OhMaJuck

OhMaJuck New Member

Hi everyone

I was just wondering if i could build 60m2 granny flat and make it to 2 separate studio space, which mean it will be completely separated under one roof.

I am planning to lodge a DA due to rear setback, would the council see this as a third dwelling or just as a secondary dwelling?

As the potential rent from 2 studio would be greater than leasing out 2 bedroom granny flat.

Base on Sydney Inner West
    Ex. 2 Bedroom granny flat potentially $450-$500
    Ex. 2 x 1 bedroom studio has the potential of $300 x 2 = $600+

Share your thoughts,

Many Thanks

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Council would not allow you to potentially get 3 x rental incomes from 1 residential property. NSW State Planning was for a secondary (ie granny flat) dwelling only.

neK likes this.
  3. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Do you care if its legal?
    If yes, stick to 2 bedroom
    If no, do whatever you want.

Propertunity likes this.
  4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

It's not going to get DA'd.

5. OhMaJuck

OhMaJuck New Member

thanks for the comment, then i guess to get approval first via DA and once OC has been granted i can finish up the internal layout.

6. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that if a fire rips through the place your insurance won't cover you because you are renting out in an illegal fashion.

I'm not too familiar with share housing rules - it may be worthwhile for you to have a look at that legislation, but i assume with the way you intend on structuring it, there will be shared facilities such as a common laundry room.

Who's who in share housing | Tenants' rights manual: a practical guide to renting in NSW, 4th edition

There may also be restrictions as to whether 2 kitchens are allowed.
    I have heard of people putting in wet bars instead - i personally don't find the effort worthwhile, but each to their own.

Last edited: 30th Nov, 2016
  7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Mathematically your comparison seems like a good idea but consider that a studio flat is often around 40-45sqm whereas you are only proposing 30sqm or less.

Basically it's a no from council and a no from any governing body (BCA/insurance) who are there to protect each party. If the dwelling was 2 genuine dwellings there would be a firewall and BCA compliant construction methods to ensure that each party has acoustic privacy, habitable necessities, fire proofing. As Council will say no your option is to go into an illegal split of the granny flat - which is a huge risk.

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Brazen

Brazen Member

Studios aren't allowed to have permanent (hard wired) cooking facilities either.

9. scientist

scientist Well-Known Member

Bumping this because of personal interest

No council or PCA will approve more than one secondary dwelling, this is correct. Studio technically can't have permanent cooktop too (but I can't see how they would find out if you refuse entry / ignore requests).

But nothing's stopping a landlord from renting the studio out to a separate tenant (so total 3 tenants on one block). The studio is defined in the SEPP as 'habitable space' and you're allowed to have shower and kitchenette facilities approved. There's nothing in local council laws or the SEPP limiting the number of unrelated tenants to 2 per property (I think it's something like 5 before it's considered a 'boarding house'). So you can totally receive 3 rent cheques each month if you have a front house, GF and studio. Just tell the studio tenant that there will be no separate bins and mailbox address. Have I missed anything?