Granny flat - optional upgrades?

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by swanqueen, 27th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. swanqueen

swanqueen Well-Known Member

It's my first foray into building and I'm wondering if I'm overcapitalising and letting emotion get in the way.

What do you think is a necessity for a 2br granny flat, and what's a nice to have? Property is in the Central coast.

Floor (kitchen)
    - Standard inclusion is lino, thinking of upgrading to tiles. Worth it? I have never seen or used lino before so am unsure of maintenance.

Bathroom/laundry
    - No laundry tub included - is it worth paying to have one installed?

External cladding
    - Standard is weathertex cladding (not sure what that is?). The main house is brick. Is it worth paying extra to build the GF in brick veneer so that it matches the look of the house?

Internals
    - Should I include a ceiling fan or two? Does it get hot enough in the Central Coast to warrant installing one?

Would love to hear your opinions.

2. Singo

Singo Well-Known Member

Install laundry tub; the tenants need it. And I reckon building similar to main house (brick) adds value.

3. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

I have just built one, in double brick, I put the laundry in the bathroom, it has a small trough and spaceand plumbing for washing machine with room for brooms, mop, bucket, concealed behind sliding doors. I think I have over capitalised on mine, because I might live in it myself one day!

4. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Go floor tiles, tub is not needed if you have a bath in the combined bath/laundry, The cladding that needs to be painted looks better and costs the same but it will need a repaint eventually. I think it is worth the trade off, its not a big house to paint anyway. Dont bother with brick on the central coas, it actually makes you lose a few m2 internally going brick. I would only do it if it was a nice upmarket area and the house itself is brick. Dont bother with fans, just put a split system aircon in the living area.

5. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

How much did it cost all up? I'm going through some turn key quotes myself to build a pair of 2x2 GFs - timber frame though.

6. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Lino (vinyl) is fine in my opinion.

No, I usually do a waste pipe for the washing machine

No, stay with the weathertex.

Yes, worthwhile doing in my opinion. Maybe also consider A/Con (it gets cold enough & hot enough, depending on breezes where you are located.

7. swanqueen

swanqueen Well-Known Member

Thanks all.

Quote for a 2br granny without the bells and whistles came up to about 110k. After adding in some optional upgrades and certifier fees we're looking at 130k all up.

That doesn't include S94 contributions - we got quoted about 10k from council! :eek:

8. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

I spent a fair bit, over 150. But it is pretty nice, I think!