Granny flat on the roof

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by wategos, 12th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

Anyone built a seperate self contained granny flat on the roof? I have a single story brick place on a large block in Byron Bay, but I like the big backyard and don't want to shrink it. Many houses seem to have a bubble on top like this, would just need bedroom, ensuite, kitchenette and external stair access. Maybe even cheaper than seperate granny flat since plumbing and electrics easier to integrate.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is it permissible under the LEP, DCP & building code?

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It won’t be cheaper to build on top of an existing house compared to just building a single storey granny flat.

4. wategos

No idea, but many other houses in the area have the bedroom on top configuration.

Yes I guess structural issues would be expensive...but to save the backyard... and to have an elevated space with a more open outlook, would be worth it.

5. neK

neK Well-Known Member

There are height restrictions coupled with setbacks that may make it difficult for an optimum design.

6. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Sounds more like an extension of the existing property than a separate granny flat - Do you plan for it to have it's own access and no access to the house below at all?

7. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

There is nothing to stop you building an "attached" granny flat as you are proposing for this one to be a first floor addition, as long as you meet the legislative requirements. But bear in mind that to reduce noise transmission between floors that it will probably require a concrete floor for the granny flat above. Are the existing foundations strong enough?

Lindsay_W likes this.
  8. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

Concrete floor above?? Sounds excessive to me would need to be fire rated though which is achieved through gyprock layers and acoustics are also achieved through insulation and by gyprock.

Sounds like not a good idea to me would be better off just building a brand new one.

9. wategos

Yeah I was thinking seperate external access so the unit could be used independently to the house. There is a brick wall with no windows where a staircase could work.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  10. wategos

Not sure if strong enough standard 1980s single story brick place, but on sandy soil close to the beach.

11. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I did say "probably"......but if fire rating and acoustics can be achieved with gyprock and insulation alone, I guess no issues doing it that way.
    I'm just thinking back to my earlier inspections of older, smaller, unit blocks with wooden floors and insulation between floors - and the acoustics were not good at all. Also plumbing can be noisy between floors but this can be addressed too no doubt.

wategos likes this.