Granny flat help - Frontage 10m

Discussion in 'Development' started by Joey2020, 19th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Joey2020

Joey2020 Well-Known Member

Hi, I had a 20m block (1000sqm in area) that I subdivided into 2 lots (10m frontage each).

I will begin construction for 2 free standing homes now but each lots backyard has around 200sqm (10*20) of grass area so there is room for granny flat easily.

I am in the Fairfield council LGA and I want to see if DA will approve a granny flat construction. I know i need a frontage > 12m. But has anyone done this before with a frontage less than 12m recently?

thanks

2. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

12m frontage is for CDC, you may be able to get away with 10m frontage under a DA, will depend on the council and LGA.

@Anthony416 might be able to give a better insight

3. Joey2020

yeap over 12m cdc is ok.

under 12m is DA. I asked Fairfield council, they made it seem like its almost impossible and you have to go court etc which sounds weird......

@anthony146 look forward to your reply mate

Archaon likes this.
  4. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Some councils are deadset against GF's.

That's why the AHSEPP came in, to override councils and allow GF's when there is more than 450m2 and greater than 12m frontage.

5. Joey2020

agree, i just want to see if there is workaround this to get it approved

6. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

As a general comment your first hurdle is the lot width, which you may be able to make a case for a variation, however if there are other issues then it may be very difficult.

For example, the GF needs it's own private open space of a certain dimension, there may be privacy issues depending on the layout, you must not take away from the POS of the princpal dwelling, cloths drying areas need to be specified, solar access evaluated, minimum landscape area for the lot needs to be correct, total site coverage needs to comply, etc etc.

Maybe check all these things and then arrange a pre DA meeting with council?

7. Joey2020

thanks mate

what happens if in the pre lodgement meeting council says no?

what are actions people can take post a lodgement meeting if the meeting doesnt go the way we would like?

8. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Even they don't support it they will usually give the reasons why, and in detail, and that helps if you want to submit a DA. Generally these pre - DA meetings can tend to be a bit negative but it gives a better insight into what their main objections may be and that can help in a work around.