granny flat driveway/parking dilemma

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by tgan, 16th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. tgan

tgan Active Member

I have just finished building a granny flat out the back of one of my investment properties and am now wondering how I should divide up the back yard for parking and to create private open space for both the tenant in the front house and the new tenant in the granny flat out the back.
    There is a driveway on the left side of the block that both tenants will be able to use. The tenant in the granny flat will drive all the way up to the back and park in front of the flat and the tenant from the front house will drive up half way then swing the the right to park in what is their back yard. ( i hope I am making sense).
    The agent tells me that I shouldnt fence off the yards so that both the tenants can back slightly in to each others car spots to be able to turn their car totally around and drive out rather than back out down the driveway.
    So my question is: What is more desirable for the tenant.
    Is it best to give the tenants the ability to turn their car and drive out or do they back their cars out but end up having a fenced off yard thus giving each tenant a little bit more privacy. My gut tells me give them privacy. The agent says give them the abilty to turn their car around.
    I have attached a hand drawn sketch to help you understand. It isnt to scale. The house tenant will need to drive up around 30 odd meteres before they swing in to their yard and the granny flat tenant drives up a further 10 meters. The driveway is about 3.5meters wide.
    I would love to get your opinions please.
    Many thanks in advance
    Tegan

Attached Files:

2. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

Instead of having an L shape fence maybe you can just have one straight fence infront of the granny flat which should allow enough space to drive up and reverse park into the house space.

Or if there is space in front of the main house you could turn that into a parking space. This will also give the house a backyard.

Some separation for privacy would be the preferred option for many but if you can work out a solution for both then it would be idea.

3. neK

neK Well-Known Member

For mine, the front tenant either gets NO parking space, or they park in the front yard.
    If its not a busy a street, there isn't a difference in rent - only in how quick it gets rented out.

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Neither is very good.

I would have thought this was bedded down before you built the granny flat though???

Anyway I would either
    1. only provide parking to one of them ON the driveway - usually the one that pays more rent
    2. Put the GF parking back slightly higher than the current house proposed bay so they can swing backwards into your current GF proposed back and exit in forwards gear. Reversing 40m absolutely sucks and your current arrangement allows no visual truncation for the reversing GF to be able to see the house parker reverse out. I would then put a bay for the front house parallel to the driveway in the front garden or something like that.

moridog and Gingin like this.
  5. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Nick Valsamis, post: 198905, member: 554"
    Or if there is space in front of the main house you could turn that into a parking space. This will also give the house a backyard.

.[/QUOTE]

Whenever I have thought about it, this is how I would do it, concrete patch and if enough room, a carport at front door area, fenced back yard for kids/dog etc

6. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

I think that is the best way to ensure there is dedicated parking for both the house and granny flat.

7. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I've found off street parking is a nice to have, where on street parking is readily available.

8. Johann_

Johann_ Well-Known Member

I would speak to your drafter and see what he or she recommends.

9. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Double carport at the rear of the house - shared.

Gingin likes this.
  10. Gingin

Gingin Well-Known Member

If it was me , I would omit granny flat park. I wouldn't rent a house having kids thinking the 'louts' out the back could run over my kids via carelessness and no fence
    the back main house can park street or back.

11. tgan

tgan Active Member

Thank you all for your opinions.

I think this isnt a bad option, but from an aesthetic perspective, I dont like it when cars park on the front lawn. In this instance, it might be a better option however for me.

I did think about the parking at the start and my thought was always to have the granny tenant park next to the flat and the house tenant behind the house, as per plan. I am only now confused because the estate agent suggested otherwise. Also, because the project is interstate, I only saw the final outcome last week and that is when I got a real feel of the left over spaces. I still believe that some privacy for the tenants by erecting a fence between the two is more desirable than the ability to turn your car around. Your opinion is however greatly appreciated and you make a valid point about reversing 40 odd meters.

The trouble with this is that the front tenant will have no back yard/private outdoor space. The space between the two unfortunately isnt big enough.

Many thanks to you all.
    :)

Gingin likes this.
  12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Agree with someone else, driving backwards for 10m let alone 40m is not desirable.

I'd want a car turnaround or else I wouldn't go through the hassle of parking down the back. Driving backwards for more than about 2 car lengths is too difficult if there's walls or structures to each side and one day sooner or later they'll damage the car getting out of the driveway.

13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That sounds like a good option and is quite common.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia