Granny flat dilemma

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by kerry kerry, 12th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kerry kerry

kerry kerry Active Member

Thanks Anthony

Further to bank valuation, the report mentioned that the granny at the back needs to remove the stove from the kitchen. So approved part is only studio, bathroom and kitchenette only.

I will have confirmed answers by council tomorrow about what the approved use is for.

There is a bedroom at the back attached to the studio which is an unapproved structure and a laundry which I also reckon is not allowed.

How much would I be looking in costs to remove stove from the kitchen, bedroom at the back?

2. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

1) The quote for cost to remove the stove would be from a builder or related trade.
    2) To sum up all the costs you should also get a quote from council for application fees and any related inspections they will want to do.
    3) Did council mention a BCA report or such? If so, add that into your costings.

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Is the stove gas or electricity or both?

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

What report said to remove the stove? I think you might be confusing a few different points but I could just be reading it wrong. It is potentially legal to have a studio that is used by the main house inhabitants so I think someone is suggesting removing the stove as that means the second kitchen is no longer a kitchen and then it cannot function as a granny flat. None of that really takes into account whether it's approved, allowed or certified. Just that removing the stove would mean that it's definitely not a granny flat and might be able to be a building that the main house could use - subject to council policies.

kerry kerry likes this.
  5. kerry kerry

Just found out from council that it was originally approved as a garage only. They don’t have any approvals for granny nor studio. So my thoughts on this is it cant be leased to not related people.

Can be left as a retreat or home office or convert back to garage but have to remove the bedroom , kitchen, bathroom and laundry.

Other factor to account is if i would like to get approvals than will have to add in cost factor which I wont be doing at this stage.

6. kerry kerry

council didn’t say anything about BCA

7. kerry kerry

Gas stove with a cylinder attached outside

8. kerry kerry

I might be confused but see attached para from the valuation report.

Attached Files:

9. kerry kerry

The valuation so far has come back okay

10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Ok gotcha. The valuation report is just something the bank uses and it sounds like they too found no approved works and are treating it as something that the main house inhabitants can use as part of their dwelling and therefore removing the stove could remove any confusion that it could be 2 dwellings.

The valuation is assessing it as additional space to the main house and not as 2 dwellings which is good if that is the price that you have offered/happy to pay.

If you are looking for something that can be used as 2 dwellings/2 leases then this is not the site for you.

kerry kerry likes this.
  11. kerry kerry

At this stage we would not be looking to get a dual occupancy approved but in the near future, Yes

We will consider our options at that time if we want to go ahead with a granny on site or either a subdivision.

For now the house was advertised with granny and a long term tenant so we will be looking for some price negotiation.