Granny flat concerns valid?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Littlegermangirl, 21st Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Littlegermangirl

Littlegermangirl Member

Hi everyone. First time poster. Long time lurker!
    I need some good old fashioned know how.
    We have bought a house with a separate DPU dependant persons unit on it. This will be used in a few years for my father who has a progressive illness. In the meantime we need to rent it out and are considering doing it privately. I understand council don’t like this but have also heard it’s a very common occurrence. I would love some real life objective advice or experiences please. Please email me if you wish to discuss privately. Any help would be appreciated. I’m in vic

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If not council approved then you are renting illegally. Councils either approve the unit for independent rental or they don’t. Saying they “don’t like it” is meaningless.

If so, you run the risk of voiding your household insurance policies. This, to me, is a much greater deterrent than possible fines.
    Marg

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

If it is a DPU with a permit then the Council requirement in Victoria is usually that it is removed once the dependent person no longer lives there.

Your case is a bit unusual since your father will be living in it eventually (how soon?)

If it is a granny flat that has been there for years - before the modern DPU permit system - and has been rented out before, you might just be able to keep doing so.

I suggest having an anonymous chat with Council.