granny flat canberra

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by S1mon, 11th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

hai guys

after about 7 months of air bnb, if i use the 7 month average over 12 months, gross yield is over 20% (on build + furnishing costs)

bit of effort tho yes, i do all cleaning too....then minus tax and utilities etc

clink and geoffw like this.
  2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Very nice.

What were the final build figures? Income? What would have been the normal rental income? How is Airbnb in the area where you've built? Can you say where the area is?

Thank you!

3. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

145k all up as predicted. 136k to builder, the rest for DA etc etc. its averaging about $2800 a month. Though a lot of one nighters/cleaning fees there. i've been setting minimum stays/making it a bit cheaper etc more lately so getting longer stays / probably a slightly lower return going forward by choice. normal rental would be about 1300 a month I think. Its in evatt, so the 'burbs, but a lot of guests visiting family etc in the burbs so im guessing a very different client relative to say the city.

RetireRich101 and geoffw like this.
  4. Shane1

Shane1 Well-Known Member

Mate, do you have much experience with converting a 50sqm garage to a secondary residence? I have a 930sqm RZ2 corner block.

If possible, I'm thinking it may be more cost effective to do this than constructing a separate granny flat.

I'm aware there's a number of requirements I have to meet such as 10a to 1a, separate carport etc so keen to see what's a good place to start.

Thanks

5. Wanqi508

Wanqi508 Member

Nice posting. I'm also planning to build a gf in my backyard, looking for an architect to design. Nathan Bear as mentioned above is certainly a candidate, do you have others to recommend ? I have limited budget, if I get a draftperson, would be a good idea ? I can concept design internal, but not sure the planing requirements like how big space I'm allowed to use to build, and space to the boundary boards. Ta

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.