Granny flat builder /subdividable land

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by Nands, 5th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nands

Nands Member

Hi there
    I have an IP in Brisbane Logan area set on a 800 sqm land.Not sure if I can subdivide the land?Can you please point me in the right direction as to who can I contact to find out more?Also,do you know of a good granny flat builder if the subdivision plan falls through?Last question-could any of you recommend a good agent who specializes in finding blocks of land that can be subdivided?

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Nands likes this.
  3. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

You can not subdivide on 800m2 regular lot in Logan City Council. You can retain existing house and build a 70m2 granny flat ( they call it annexed unit in LCC)..
    There may be some clever strategy you can adapt....if your end is to have 2 dwellings (existing + new) on the 800m2 that can strata titled ( hence sold separately)..

MTR and Nands like this.
  4. Nands

Nands Member

Thanks for the response
    Who can I get in touch with to enquire about strata titling ?

5. RetireRich101

Strata or community titling is when your separate title an end product. For example you build the duplex/triplex or town home first, when construction is completed, normally a Surveyor does this strata titling at the end, but they would not want to hear about how you go about it at the start.
    Note if you are decidin to strata title, there is associate/extra cost such as LCC infra charges apply to strata/community and strata title cost.

You can speak with a Builder, but normally they're not that clever to understand what can be achieved on a lot, especially they build over multiple councils that out stretch their knowledge.

A Town Planner would be your first go to. Generally 1 or 2 question is free, so you can ascertain your position, though TP comes at a cost with a small project.

For builder, TP etc you obviously need to do your leg work to shop around...generally getting 1-2 "free" questions from a few TP gives me further understanding.. Calling LCC helps further.

Each QLD council is different in their development planning./ What you can do in LCC may not be applicable to BCC, MBRC, Redland, Ipswich etc.

6. RetireRich101

Does BA charge slightly more for a client requesting a lot that has development potential? Does BA provide a best use scenario for the lot?
    Not talking about multiple floor apartment, but small subdivision such as simple splitter, a small lot that can build 3-5 townhouse etc.

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

BAs all operate differently. Speak to them.

Propertunity likes this.
  8. Nands

Nands Member

Thanks
    Do you know of anyone who's built a granny flat and then strata titled it seperately?I just want to make sure I take the correct steps while building this granny so I can title it seperately at the end.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated

9. Propertunity

In NSW the granny flat legislation does not allow you to either subdivide off or strata title the granny flat.

10. Propertunity

Generally the answer is "Yes" to all those questions. We are often on the hunt for granny flat suitable properties for clients and advise that we pass over some candidate properties because the "highest and best" use is more than just a granny flat.

11. Nands

Nands Member

Hi Alan
    I'm looking at doing this in Brisbane-Logan area.Is it doable?

12. RetireRich101

Don't think it as a granny flat for a moment, and think what is the best use of the 800m2 in terms of how many dwelling or floor area you can build on it, under equivalent/net density calculation..

Most of the suburban are of Low density which depicts a equivalent density of 20 dwellings per hectare...You can ask your Town Planner to see if you can build 2 x 2 bedroom + study on the 800m2 lot. me thinks it's doable..

13. Propertunity

14. Nands

Nands Member

15. Nands

Nands Member

Can anyone recommend a good granny flat builder in Sydney-Blacktown area?Specifically after a builder with competitive pricing and quality build

16. Nands

Nands Member

Any reviews on 5 star granny flat builders in Blacktown?

17. Nands

Nands Member

Hi guys
    Looking for a reliable and cost effective granny flat builder for my investment property at Blacktown.Appreciate your recommendations