Granny flat build

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by jins13, 12th Apr, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I've been dealing more with Serge's sons Nicholas and Eric more than anything. My dealings with Serge has been mainly about the plans.

2. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Update 31/05/2022
    Demolition team completed everything today. Most likely the same team will be working on the DA granny flat too.

You can see the asbestos in the first two pictures.

upload_2022-5-31_16-57-23.png

upload_2022-5-31_16-57-58.png

The team working hard in the next two pictures.
    upload_2022-5-31_16-58-34.png

upload_2022-5-31_16-59-5.png

Finally the site is cleared
    upload_2022-5-31_16-59-31.png

Last edited: 31st May, 2022
    Blueskies likes this.
  3. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Update 28/06/2022
    We received an invoice for the CDC granny flat to pay 20% for the completed excavation and slab work. Pretty much I've told them that I am not paying for anything until I receive progress pictures and have been promised some pictures should be on our way soon. Apparently, the builder's usual plumber was unavailable, so they tried to use a different fellow who promised the world, but didn't turn up to the job.

For the DA granny flat due to the flood study report, we need to amend the plan to get approval. Essentially, we requested we would like to keep the 2.7m ceiling height and go with a colourbond roof to reduce the roof pitch to be compliant. I personally think it's a mistake to keep the height at 2.44m and much better to keep the higher ceiling height.

Overall, the project is not progressing as fast as I would like and looking at potentially Sep finish. Our builder (not granny flat) is currently working on an extensive renovation project on another IP for us has made sufficient progress and we think he will be done in two weeks time to rent the place out.

4. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Not to be negative, however, the capital injection is rarely recovered via the post-construction valuation so if it's a pure cash flow move, it may work, if looking for short-term equity, probably not?

5. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Fair point but this is a cash flow move but helped with entering the bottom of the market as well before it went crazy. Also, the vacancy rate in the area is low and usually my managing agent rents out a property within a week.

Colin Rice likes this.
  6. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Well done on that, nothing wrong with cash flow, it's the king, especially when times get tougher.

jins13 likes this.
  7. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Update - 29/06/2022
    Received some progress pictures today - see below. We should receive some more pictures once the site supervisor is on site this Friday.

upload_2022-6-29_13-45-18.png

upload_2022-6-29_13-45-39.png

upload_2022-6-29_13-46-31.png

upload_2022-6-29_13-46-3.png

8. trunks

trunks Well-Known Member

The major milestones for you would be concrete down, and then the roof up. With Sydneys weather at the moment its super hard to estimate when it will be done until you got those two milestones surpassed. I've got a GF build on at the moment, I had to wait around 5-6 weeks for them to lay the concrete down because of Sydneys bad weather, and a few more for the frame + roofing thereafter.

But now with a roof overhead, they're able to push through on the rest of the build for all the internals. Currently at the bathroom tiling phase. But even then, if the rain continues I'll have issues at the landscaping phase.

9. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Yes very good points. It certainty think it's going to be tough with the weather, but fortunately we have a tenant in the main house during the build which makes the extended period bearable. Also, we are not required to pay any progress payments until that particular work is complete.

Personally, the most annoying thing is that this is holding up our next steps.

10. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Update - 18/07/2022
    Received some pictures of the plumbing work completed so far.

Last week, they completed the internal drainage, electrical and plumbing lead ins and formwork and steel were laid. This week's proposed scope of work is the termite pest collars, certifier on site for the slab steel inspection and completion of the slab.

As this is our first granny flat build, I'm not sure if the work is going to quickly pick up from this point onto the other stages. I'm def happy to be advised by experienced granny flat investors with appropriate timeframes.
    upload_2022-7-18_13-20-42.png

upload_2022-7-18_13-21-0.png

upload_2022-7-18_13-21-22.png

upload_2022-7-18_13-21-46.png

upload_2022-7-18_13-22-11.png

upload_2022-7-18_13-22-47.png

Blueskies likes this.
  11. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Also, currently doing some research on possible single carport/garage idea which I would like to have for the main house and the granny flat.

upload_2022-7-18_13-29-24.png

upload_2022-7-18_13-30-9.png

12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

At present with the weather you could put a pool in

13. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Update 26/07/2022
    Not much of an update at the moment. Last week we had the private certifier attend site to check on the work progress, and we were told the work had to stop due to several things such as letter to the neighbours about the work, contribution to Council, payment of variation of the Long Service Levy (LSL) and heap of other things.

To be honest, I can't say I am impressed with this because you would think as 'experts' of this field, you should have picked up these things from the beginning, especially the letter to the neighbours. Even more ridiculous considering I drafted the letter for their behalf as well. Also, we were originally told the contribution to Council was payable at the end and they were the ones who informed us the amount to pay for the LSL. Regardless, this resulted in a stop work order until all conditions were met and was another example of work being delayed.

Also, I have followed up with the DA approval as it was taking way too long and not much progress has been made about this. Apparently, the flooding report has been completed and hopefully this should be lodged with Council today, but knowing their track record, I doubt it.

I understand the building industry is going through a tough patch at the moment, but still these amateur mistakes should be avoided and the client shouldn't be the one constantly driving the project and holding the builder to account. I would think if people are time sensitive, maybe consider another granny flat builder.

Last edited: 26th Jul, 2022
    sakuraZen likes this.
  14. trunks

trunks Well-Known Member

Which granny flat builder are you using?

Those definitely should have been done prior to any build work starting, particularly the notice to the neighbours (usually for a 14 day period). Once the slab is down, I'd say 3 months from then if they are a good builder who has found a way to work through the current issues in the industry.

I've got a granny flat build close to completion. I signed the contract in mid-Jan 2022. It's close to completion now - it's just missing the final touches - front door, garage door, silicone, some exterior paint and stormwater to the street but otherwise everything else from kitchen, bathroom, built-ins, brickwork, etc is complete.

15. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Update 11/08/2022
    So we have lost two weeks due to the stop work order and for us to fulfil a couple of conditions before the private certifier was willing to allow work to re-commence back on site. I had a firm discussion about what I thought about the private certifier and mentioned how I actually had a phone conversation with him to make sure we haven't missed anything. I was advised they will no longer engage his service for further projects.

The slab is finally in and we were told the frame timber is onsite now and the carpenters will be working on site tomorrow. We were also told that the roof work should commence on Monday too.

The DA application with supporting documents has been lodged for the other granny flat project with Council about a week or so ago. Currently, Sydney Water is assessing the application but so far no agencies have requested further information.
    upload_2022-8-11_21-16-0.png

upload_2022-8-11_21-16-27.png

Blueskies and bonchovies like this.
  16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Love the updates, thanks!

The Y-man likes this.
  17. trunks

trunks Well-Known Member

Nice progress. Once the roof is up, you should see some great progress

18. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Update 24/08/2022
    Yesterday, we received DA approval for our other granny flat. This is a good outcome as we can pace ourselves with this build but I think we will commence it this year too.

Received a picture of the current progress of the CDC granny flat which the framing and roof is now complete. The next step is the gutters, cladding and roughing in. It's good to see the structure.

upload_2022-8-24_11-2-37.png

Blueskies likes this.
  19. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Update 26/08/2022
    Had a discussion with the granny flat builder yesterday to talk about potential issues with the DA approval and to start the ball rolling with the granny flat built. Just like the CDC granny flat, it involves choosing the colours, fixtures and etc. Once this process is complete, a quote will be provided. I believe from memory there is a discount for requesting them to complete the second granny flat.

So far we have not experienced any issues with increasing costs due to materials and etc. I intend to take my builder friend to the site in a couple of weeks' time to see if there are any potential issues for them to rectify.

20. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Update - 1/09/2022
    Currently the electrician is doing the rough which pretty much means they are doing the installation of electrical services for the granny flat. Slowly taking shape and good to see what the final product is going to look like.
    upload_2022-9-1_19-53-34.png

upload_2022-9-1_19-53-55.png
    upload_2022-9-1_19-54-17.png

upload_2022-9-1_19-54-38.png

Blueskies and craigc like this.