Granny Flat build in Moreton Bay Area

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by Ronald86, 5th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

I would not bother in Logan you can buy townhouses in Logan for $140.000

2. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Pumped on property I notice promote these granny flats but when I notice the guy who runs it do a video of his houses he doesn’t build granny flats he builds proper houses funny that.

3. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Why would you spend $150.000 on a granny flat in Logan when you can put it into another good property all the stress and hassle of it especially in Logan.

4. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

For anyone picking up this thread in the future building a granny flat should be for a long term never sell investment as it is all about cash flow. The ideal location may have little to.do with capital growth, in fact places like Logan are ideal as they have a super low cost base, pro gf council and high demand from tenants. This means a premium yield. The main benefit of gf over multiple props for cash flow is you don't have the same overheads per dwelling ie rather than 6k per house it is more like $8k as some utilities are shared. It does takes a lot of effort and isn't for everyone but done the right way you can do very well out of them as a very low risk investment. Not for those looking for cg but if built for multi gen families and designed accordingly they are not as illiquid as is often suggested. See Michael matusik articles for projected demand for these type of dwellings.

craigc likes this.
  5. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Call them and ask - they advised me that’s where they are now buying and building GF’s due to the changes in MB GF rules.

6. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

They are buying in Logan I know of three they've recently purchased, all have proposed granny flats.

Last edited: 27th Dec, 2020
  7. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Ok after my little panic I’ve decided to keep it Brisbane property prices are going nuts who cares about a granny flat now just do up the house a bit.

momentum26 and Angel like this.
  8. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Stupid I just got angry will be keeping the property now Kallangur is finally seeing some growth with the whole of Brisbane no chance I’m selling now.

Happy Lucy ❤️ likes this.
  9. jsoe000

jsoe000 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, just reading this thread now. We're first time interstate buyers. GF works really well in NSW and we done a couple of them without any major fuss from the council, etc. Returns are great and gain awesome.
    In Brisbane (not Logan), what's the deal with them? We're allowed to build GF and rent it out to other renters (not relos) but must provide 2 car spaces? Is a separate drive way not allowed? Coz for corner blocks, we put 2 driveways on each street in NSW and with a fence for complete privacy.
    What are your thoughts in Brisbane? People seriously against GF? Why?

10. Malcolm Myers

Malcolm Myers Member

Does anyone know the rules around dual income properties in MBRC with regard to separate leases? I heard that separate leases are no longer allowed in Morton Bay.

11. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

I understand there’s been a crackdown to ensure dual income properties are only in appropriately zoned properties.
    Previously seemed to be built on all sorts of properties and being separately rented out.