Granny Flat build in Moreton Bay Area

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by Ronald86, 5th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I was talking to a sensible local re agent on Friday about building a GF in my own backyard. Not to rent to strangers but for use in the future as an inter-generational household. I thought there is plenty of space - we back onto a park and there is a 3m wide walkway beside our property that joins the park and the street. Our house takes up only 25% of the land. I thought a cabin with a large deck overlooking trees in the park would be great.

The agent didn't like the idea, for a few reasons. There is negligible demand in leafy family-friendly suburbs for them, and secondly it would use up "space" in our backyard. She also said it would just look wrong. I dont think it would "look wrong", but she is the expert on what potential buyers and renters want, not me. There are more reasons peculiar to this block.

2. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Angel, if you want it for your family to live in, and you're not planning on selling any time soon then the demand doesn't matter.

3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I know. I want to know what it would be worth, ie potential valuation, if completed so I will know if we are wasting our money. It's only a thought as I have an urge to build something.

4. Greedo

Greedo Well-Known Member

What is the experience on the return for adding an extra bedroom? I have a 3br IP in Petrie with room for either a gf or extra bedroom

5. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

If it is the scenario of a GF or extra bedroom under the main floor of a house on stilts, be careful that the ceiling is legal height.

You can't advertise the additional space as a bedroom or granny flat if the roof is not legal height. For this reason you will often see this space advertised as a "utility room".

6. kochi

kochi Member

Hi Guys

Been hearing rumors about changes to Granny Flat build approvals in the MBRC . Has anyone heard anything more concrete ?

Katie likes this.
  7. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

What have you been hearing? - I know that they are doing a review ATM

Katie likes this.
  8. kochi

kochi Member

That MBRC is most likely not going to allow separate tenants in the Granny Flats. Pretty much falling in line with Brisbane council & Sunshine Coast Council. But wont know for sure till they post the Final changes

9. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

Is this retrospective or only applies if you build after a certain date?

10. b_ball_ing

b_ball_ing Member

Anyone got any insight into this?

I'm considering starting a GF build very soon so would love to know.

Cheers,

11. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

Have a chat to the town planners at the council. Last I heard was that they will not guarantee that you will still be able to lease it separately as it is under review with a recommendation due at the end of the year. Big risk...

Katie and b_ball_ing like this.
  12. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Wow glad I signed on to property chat after years I bought in Moreton bay with the sole purpose of building a Granny flat was planning it atm anyone heard any news?

13. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

My partner just rang Council apparently it will apply to ones that are already built also how can they do that lol.

14. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

So glad I didn’t plan any of this paying all the planners wasting my time contacting granny flat builders I only bought a ugly ducking house in MBRC with the attention of one day building a granny flat.

15. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

I’ve seen Granny flats popping up around the Redcliffe area dare say if these changes go through I think they will btw there are going to be a fair few angry investors.

craigc likes this.
  16. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

So has a decision been formally made about separately leasing or are they still reviewing?

Katie likes this.
  17. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Not yet Closet I signed up for there newsletter the end of the year do you think they will ban 2 leases or just add more infrastructure charges?

18. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

A range of things are apparently being considered including changing the size of blocks that secondary dwellings can be built on but it is anyone's best guess what the outcome will be. Would imagine if they do support separate leasing they would have to introduce auxiliary dwellings and no doubt fees would accompany it...but who really knows :)

Katie likes this.
  19. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Mines a good size 607 block yeah it’s sounding like it’s going to be more of a stuff around then it already is doubt it will even we worth it with the changes I will most likely end up selling I have better opportunities else where.

20. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

I will most likely wait and see but if they change it I’m selling it.