Granny flat - Brisbane

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by iinvestor, 11th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. iinvestor

iinvestor Active Member

Hi,

I have the following property in Corinda, Brisbane
    (previous thread Corinda, Brisbane)

- Splitter block ( 809m2)
    - 2 titles
    - post 1946
    - site is not located within the Traditional Building Character Overlay.

Ideally i would like to build 2 properties when Im financially ready. For now, what is the following possible?

- building 2 granny flats at the back of the 2 separate lots ( so ideally ,rent the existing old house and the 2 granny flats separately )
    - do i need to get council approvals
    - will council allow this
    - how should i budget for this
    - has anyone done similar projects

any help is much appreciated.

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

You cough and you need an approval these days.

No idea, talk to a TP.

- how should i budget for this
    Talk to GF builders

- has anyone done similar projects
    No I haven't and i wouldnt dream of putting gfs on a splitter block even if possible.

3. iinvestor

iinvestor Active Member

Thanks for the reply. Once I'm financially ready, to build, I will not be getting rid of the granny flats. So build 2 granny flats and rent for now. When ready, remove the existing old house and build 2 new properties in front of the granny flat. Ideally build the 2 granny flat at the back of the land.

4. LJW

LJW Well-Known Member

For 2 granny flats yes, for 1 granny flat no.

1 granny flat yes, 2 granny flats no. Under City Plan, a Dwelling house means a residential use of premises involving—

(a) 1 dwelling for a single household and any domestic outbuildings associated with the dwelling; or
    (b) 1 dwelling for a single household, a secondary dwelling and any domestic outbuildings associated with either dwelling.

As the existing house currently straddles both lots, the "premises" is both lots (i.e 809sqm site). Unless you demolish the house, you are only allowed 1 dwelling and 1 secondary dwelling on your site (i.e. the 2 lots). Therefore, you can currently only have 1 granny flat.

If you do intend to build the granny flat now, you won't need to comply with the Dwelling House (Small Lot) Code requirements so you can build at the back of one of the existing lots (setbacks just need to comply with QDC requirements) - although you should design the granny flat with 1.0m side boundary setbacks to the small lot boundaries. However, you may run into issues later when you do demolish the house and go to get building approval for a new house in front of the existing granny flat as it will probably confuse your certifier a bit.

5. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Have you also considered BCC rules for separately renting the GF(s) and the main house to unrelated parties?

Do a search of the forum on this topic, your proposed setup sounds highly questionable.

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

In the BCC area, you won’t be able to rent the gf separately to the main house.
    Marg

7. iinvestor

iinvestor Active Member

Appreciate your ellobrate reply. As you mentioned, the idea is to build the granny behind one of the lots and rent to the relatives of the existing household. Will need to have a chat to a certifier with regards to when it comes to getting demolishing the existing property to build on. Do you know a good certifier?