Granny Flat - Block size 400sqm

Discussion in 'Development' started by Declan, 28th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Declan

Declan Active Member

Hi Guys

I have a 410sqm block of land in Sydney and im looking to build a house and granny flat.

My understanding is that a block must be above 450sqm to build a detached granny flat however there are some comments on the net that you can build an attached granny flat if the block is under 450sqm.

Does anyone know the rules around this?

JHC likes this.
  2. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

from my understanding of the code the 450m2 requirement is for detatched granny flats

attached has no min lot size requirement

3. Ethan Timor

Ethan Timor Well-Known Member

Regulations vary from council to council so by speaking with council or a town planner you should be able to obtain specific advice :cool:

4. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

If built under AHSEPP they wont differ in relation to the question asked

5. Fabs

Fabs Active Member

Some councils may accept even semi detached duplexes on 400sqm sites. I have already approved a few of these, you can then subdivide and sell them separately. Where is your land located?

The catch for CDC granny flats on small lots is that clause 23(2)(d) of the housing code says that the development must "involve no external alterations to the principal dwelling other than the provision of an additional entrance", so you either have to:
    a) have a house that is sufficiently large to allow conversion of part of it into a granny flat; or
    b) approve an extension for the house first, then prepare a separate application for the party wall and new entrance to the granny flat; or
    c) find a certifier who is happy to approve both applications from alternative (B) in one go.

Anthony416 likes this.
  6. Declan

Declan Active Member

I have read that there is no minimum lot requirement.

Fabs - the block is currently just vacant land so does that mean we can't do the house and granny?

7. Fabs

Fabs Active Member

Declan, please replace item (b) in my previous post with:

"b) approve/build a large new house first, then prepare a separate application for the party wall and new entrance to the granny flat; or"

Because your land is vacant, I would reinforce my recommendation to review council's or CDC controls for duplexes or semi detached dwellings.

8. Declan

Declan Active Member

9. Fabs

Fabs Active Member

@Declan That post was from February 2014, not sure if the rules are still the same. In any case I recommend that you discuss this with a certifier.