NSW Granny flat and sewer/easement

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Learner2, 23rd Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Learner2

Learner2 Active Member

I gather that we need to look at sewer and easements and we can't build granny flat on top of it (or may be we can build but there are some extra approvals/steps to be taken and it costs more). I have asked for contract for one of the properties and I see sewer diagram towards the end. See attached. From what I can make out of it, sewer line is in the front and back of the property. Since we need to leave setbacks anyways, that is not an issue. However, easement runs right through the middle of the property. But depending on the plot size, if we can find 60 sqm in the rectangle between sewer and easement, there is a possibility to build granny flat. Is my analysis correct?

Attached Files:

2. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

Looks to me like you have a very wide 'transmission easement'. Have a look at the plan again, the tranmission and easement dont have to be written directly next to each other.

Get a copy of your title to see if the easement is there as well.

Do you have large electricity wires at the back of the property?

Learner2, Scott No Mates and Archaon like this.
  3. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If that's a transmission easement is power lines, as @lixas4 notes, you won't be building anywhere under, over or near it.

lixas4 and Learner2 like this.
  5. Learner2

Learner2 Active Member

Okay, I completely missed the ‘transmission’ word. Thanks guys. I haven’t seen the property in person. Was trying to see if I can eliminate some of the properties by perusing the contract.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Learner2 - google maps and street view may also save you some time. Transmission lines, towers, long shadows and a lack of substantial structures can indicate an issue in built-up areas.

Learner2 and Archaon like this.