Granite benchtop - worth it?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Lambo, 29th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lambo

Lambo Well-Known Member

Hey all, I am doing some basic improvements to sell a house that is in good condition but hasn't had much done to it since it was built in '95.

I don't think it's worth putting in a whole new kitchen just to sell but i want to replace the benchtop as the current laminate benchtop is stained and I think that will make the biggest difference. I got a quote for a granite overlay but it came to 4.5k and I'm not sure if it will be worth spending that much without doing the rest of the kitchen? How much value do you think a granite benchtop adds when selling?
    The house is in a predominately owner occupier area so those are the buyers i will be targeting.

2. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Benchtops don't sell houses. It depends whether this cost is justified if you are selling over $1million property then the expectations of fit-outs differs to say selling $500K house.
    I would just replace to new at the lowest possible cost or fix existing...if the value of the property is not so expensive.

MTR and Rugrat like this.
  3. Cate Bell

Cate Bell Well-Known Member

I had an average size kitchen done in an investment property, cost just over $2K. If the rest of the kitchen is older, I would probably only replace the laminate. Depends on your target market.

4. Lambo

Lambo Well-Known Member

Thanks. Yeah the property is probably going on market for 550k or so so maybe not worth it...

5. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Who's your target market?
    What do similar properties have?
    Are there new properties nearby with stone benchtops?

I'm completing a renovation at the moment, I spoke with a local agent and asked for his feedback.
    Got great info, actually suggested a lot lower spec then I originally planned.
    Suggesting it would be wasted and money wouldn't get back.

6. boeman

boeman Well-Known Member

Look at the cheaper stone options. Silestone, for example, is fairly identical to Caesarstone without the more recognised name and is about 40% cheaper.

Stoffo likes this.
  7. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Easiest way is to research and see what is selling similar in your area and do your research. Perhaps money could be spend otherwise, what will create most value for the $ spent, could be a paint job instead, changing old door or kitchen handles or taps, flooring, repainting cupboards, opening layout, etc...
    Talk to good agents and check similar properties online, those that sold quickly, and then compare!

8. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia

Like marble, granite is lovely in a showroom but kinda high maintenance in daily living . Needs to be sealed regularly - if your buyers dont know - great. If they do... can be a real turn off.

Why put in an expensive and potentially divisive benchtop ? Just use reconstituted stone from silestone or smartstone or quantumstone or essentialstone ( kaboodle) Most people seem to quite like these kinds of finishes .

if you want to do something a little different - glass fibre reinforced concrete can be very nice as well....

Or... just go with good old fashioned laminate. If you got 24 years out of the existing one - speaks volumes for its longevity/value ratio...

9. Lambo

Lambo Well-Known Member

Just to clarify it's not a full granite bench, just a 4mm overlay. Estimate to replace with laminate is 4.2k apparently so thinking I may as well go the granite.
    Does that sound right? It is a rather odd shaped bench with a couple of corners. About 5m2.

Other option is a Bunnings resurfacing kit but not sure I want to go that cheap.

10. Arnel

Arnel Well-Known Member

Why granite? Just go engineered stone and replace the lot.

As everybody said, we do a lot of kitchen renovations for people wanting to sell their homes. It’s a big emotional selling point for a home

wylie likes this.
  11. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

They can look surprisingly good. I'd go that way first, and if it's crap look at an overlay.

That seems expensive to me for a laminate bench.

You could also look at the resurfacing people who spray it - that can be a decent option that's not as budget as DIY but way cheaper than $4k.

Lambo likes this.
  12. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Yes always go stone

13. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I watch too many house buying shows. Most shows "I really like the kitchen but I don't like the stone bench tops" so that will need changing.

I looked at cheaper stone in Bunnings a while ago. For the cost most of it looked crap.

Just replace with nice laminate that is cost effective (cheap)

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  14. Lambo

Lambo Well-Known Member

This is what I'd like to do but I can't seem to find anyone who will replace it with laminate for less than $4000 anyway. A lot more than I had anticipated...

15. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

16. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

It seems like false economy to put a $4.5k benchtop on an old kitchen. We did a quick reno on one kitchen and it held for another 4 years, which was our aim, but I'd never spend that sort of money. How big is it? Kitchens aren't that expensive if you can do the ripout etc yourself. Photos?

MikeyBallarat and wylie like this.
  17. Lambo

Lambo Well-Known Member

I have put the job on serviceseeking. I am away on a work trip till Saturday which is making things more difficult.

Attached Files:

18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't spend $4.5k on stone for that kitchen for a house with a possible selling price of $550k.

19. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

You’ll probably get way more interested buyers if you convert the electric stove to gas.

Don’t bother with the benchtop, some people hate granite. Including myself. For daily use, laminate all the way. Memories of cleaning and cleaning my parents’ granite benchtop to make sure it is streak free. Ouch.

20. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Kitchen looks fine for a 550k property. I’d leave it

Repaint the whole house if it hasn’t been painted for over 10 yeara