Government's COVID response

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by MTR, 23rd Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Thanks Simon.

Apologies to you @wylie.

wylie likes this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

3. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

The problem in NSW was that they didn't have enough vaccine to start with, I had friends that wanted to get the jab but there wasn't any available for them at the time.

SatayKing and boganfromlogan like this.
  4. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Only know about Canberra but AZ was readily available back in April. My biased view is there is little, if any, excuse for any 60+ yo in Canberra not to be fully vaccinated by now. And there are quite a few who are not unfortunately.

wylie and boganfromlogan like this.
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Two different times - when the vaccine was first available there were "maybe" a dozen cases in Sydney - the media was going insane about "blood clot risk and deaths" - the federal government was promises that "Pfizer was on it's way any second" - hence people felt they had time to wait for the preferential ... then when cases exploded, and the government correspondingly opened vaccines to all ages over 12 and everyone (including boomers) leapt in to take whatever they could get.

This would show a disproportionate amount of younger people "not being picky" ... but is not a true reflection of the circumstances ... in most areas of NSW Pfizer wasn't/isn't available to even younger people (my 18 year old had no choice but AZ)

So how about stop the simplified bashing and blaming and look at the whole picture

**disclaimer - I am an X but got my AZ as soon as eligible

Angel, Antoni0 and wylie like this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

An interesting article in the Herald Sun about why we didn't initially get Pfizer. Where are the apologies to the marketing department?

Secret payment Pfizer wanted from Australia

Probably locked so an extract:

"...Pfizer wanted Aussie taxpayers to pay for its Covid vaccine even if it didn’t work, and it may explain why the government waited longer to clinch a deal..."

Released under FOI.

Should the government have put down $240m to secure Pfizer when it would have lost 50% if the drug didn't get recognition?

Looks like the drug company was outed for their practice - funded by the US/WHO/etc but sticking their hand out for more.

craigc likes this.