Government's COVID response

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by MTR, 23rd Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

BRILLIANTLY SAID... and this is why I have called our Prime Minister 'SLO-MO'.

Lizzie likes this.
  2. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

MTR likes this.
  3. tedjamvor

tedjamvor Well-Known Member

Talks of multple $1m lotteries with an entry for every jab.

Sign me up, those idiots protesting would be the first to try to win the million.

craigc likes this.
  4. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

One point I will give to the governments is that the science has indeed continued to evolve and better information became available, but to be able to deliver that nuance to an entire population is virtually impossible - even members on this forum love to cherry pick sound bites and say "SEE! I TOLD YOU THEY WERE LYING".

It would be great if politicians didnt have to big note themselves and never admit to having made a error in hindsight, perhaps if the public allowed them that, we wouldn't have such narrow perspectives in parliament?

5. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

I hear many including Turnbull criticising the Government for not buying enough vaccines and that being the cause of the lockdowns etc.

Is this a bit of a fib - because at no point did Australia not have ample vaccine - we just did not have the particular one people wanted, Pfizer. The Astrazeneca was always in ample supply. It was even manufactured in Aust. I doubt the poor Polish new that when they gave/sold us some of their own Pfizer.

Lizzie likes this.
  6. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

I am hearing AZ quite long lasting.

Also know one person who wishes they had AZ not pfizer ( lived experience with side effects )

..... when all is said and done the baby boomer resistance to pfizer is the real culprit!!

Serveman likes this.
  7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Initially, there was not an issue between the two. But the gubbmint wasn't in a hurry. "It's not a race".

When doubt started to get thrown on AZ, well after both were available, an effective campaign could have lifted the take-up of AZ.

inertia and gman65 like this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It's not jus the baby boomers...

My understanding (happy to be wrong) is that the NSW and Victorian outbreaks have pushed people of all ages to stop being hesitant and accept AZ.

9. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

This is the link to the ATAGI Statement of 8 April 2021 where it recommended Pfizer for those under 50 years of age.

ATAGI statement on AstraZeneca vaccine in response to new vaccine safety concerns

It states very clearly (bolding is mine)
    • The AstraZeneca vaccine is highly effective at reducing the risk of death or severe disease from COVID-19 across all adult age groups. At the present time, the AstraZeneca vaccine is the only vaccine option for reducing this risk for many Australians, since the global availability of alternative vaccines is highly constrained.
    • ATAGI recognises this safety concern will likely impact on confidence in being vaccinated with AstraZeneca vaccine in all age groups.
    • Until the Government can increase supply of COVID-19 vaccines other than AstraZeneca, overall coverage under Australia's COVID-19 vaccine program will likely be reduced. This will likely impact the time frame to which the Australian population is protected against COVID-19.
    • In the short term, delays in vaccine uptake increase the vulnerability of the Australian population to outbreaks of COVID-19 and the attendant risk of death and serious morbidity, especially among older Australians.
    The advisory group are clinicians and make recommendations based on clinical evidence available at the time. Where new clinical evidence is received, it is assessed and the advice may alter as a consequence. The advice above was when there was no Covid outbreak as subsequently occurred.

I consider various public individuals mashed the advice they received causing angst about AstraZeneca. They should have known better and nuanced the message in a more measured way. I know where I am pointing the finger of blame and it isn't towards clinicians as some are attempting to do.

inertia likes this.
  10. boganfromlogan

Glad to hear that is happening.

Coronavirus Australia: Older Australians, especially older women, most concerned about COVID vaccines

My understanding of boomers is those born after the war (1945-1964) which would make them all in the over 55s group now. To be honest i think they might be mostly over 60.

They do seem to be the trickiest group ......

11. SatayKing

Fixed it for you. No need to thank me.:)

12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

... It starts as middle age spread.

boganfromlogan likes this.
  13. wylie

I can't see that report without signing up, which I'm not willing to do. But it is four months old. I'm 61 and my cohort are all vaccinated. I suspect possibly it might be much older boomers?

I don't know. But four months ago things were very different, certainly in NSW and Victoria. And it is tricky isn't it, to judge a certain demographic on their decision to choose one vaccine over another when there was no choice.

I certainly was hesitant when my husband was advised to have a job due to his health condition, but as soon as I was able to make the choice, I stopped fence-sitting and had AZ. Those under a certain age didn't even have to make a choice because there was nothing to choose four months ago (I think).

14. boganfromlogan

The report simply identifies the older demographic as having hesitancy and resistance......so I know u said it wasn't the boomers but ..... well ...... it was.

The derailing of the program was when there was plenty of AZ, and the boomers were hesitant. Young were happy to, but not able to vaccinate.

This is something that happened, whether u feel 4 months ago matter's or not is a different question.

The report says boomers were hesitant. I understand why u wouldn't want to read that report, much less pay to read it. I read it and didn't pay.

What's the issue with calling out boomers?

I thought it was a national pass time.

15. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I think some of the boomers might have an issue with being lumped in with the generalisations being made.

wylie likes this.
  16. SatayKing

But I like it 'cause it's all about me!

17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Derailing of the program started when the media was going hyper about the clot risks, and uninformed'ly raving on about vaccine deaths, from the AZ

wylie likes this.
  18. wylie

I am a boomer and I'm sick of the boomer bashing that seems to be a national pastime.

I could have signed up to read it, without paying, but I don't want to be bombarded with more than I get already.

It is easy to say the boomers were hesitant when nobody else was able to choose any vaccine, let alone choose which one.

And all the people I know who are now able to be vaccinated are generally choosing Pfizer, still hesitant about AZ, thanks for the bungling of the way it was promoted.

Lizzie likes this.
  19. wylie

Exactly. If everyone was eligible back when this clot risk was being sensationalised, it would have been most people of any age (not just the boomers) who were holding out for Pfizer. To say anything else is wrong, and I think most people understand that.

The clot risk is almost identical for Pfizer but it didn't get sensationalised in the media. Don't blame the boomers just because they were the only ones able to make a choice back then.

Lizzie likes this.
  20. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Weeelll, when access to AZ was opened up to younger people, and Pfizer was still in short supply, many sought it out.
    'It's been really confusing': We spoke to seven under-40 Aussies who sought the jab yesterday