Government says tenants don't have to pay rent if under hardship

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Jess Peletier, 20th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TangibleGoodwill

TangibleGoodwill Well-Known Member

Not really reading all this as tenants wont have to pay rent, more the government will assist with hardship.

If I as a landlord was given mortgage payment relief or land tax exemptions for example I would gladly pass on those savings to my tenants, one of which earns $160k a year and has just sold a property in Brunswick for $1.5m.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I like @Sackie's idea of a discount for upfront payment for a long period of time, though tenants with cash in that quantity are less likely to be those which get into financial trouble.

Another option may be to negotiate with tenants, either at the start of a lease or even during one to discount the current rate they are paying to under market rates, with an increase at the half way mark which takes it to over market rates (ultimately balancing out over the period of the lease). Then hoping things have improved enough for the tenant to sustain the commitment.

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Wish we could keep/use bond

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
    Accidental Investor likes this.
  4. Luckycharm

Luckycharm Well-Known Member

I like the npv neutral adjustment, very neat. But if tenants don't have to pay, will they pay a fair amount?

I was thinking 'hardball' solutions such as withholding non urgent repairs... eviction on other grounds...declaring the building uninhabit.. to deal with tenants who don't pay who are signed up on a lease.

5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

lets all have a a Remote hug, the only way we will survive well is to be a big Aussie tribe....... regardless of any pigeonhole !

ta
    rolf

Antoni0, Pier1, Silverson and 3 others like this.
  6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

While all this is true there is a group of people who have set up retirement income streams based around dividends. Their assets are falling in value and revenue streams from dividends will dry up. It's really serious and nothing to do with leverage. Can only hope they have decent buffers in place.

TAJ likes this.
  7. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

I didn't read it like this either, until the comment about landlords essentially being grouped with the banks and government i.e. we can help to bail out those who fall under hardship. It was that line that concerned me.

I can tell you one thing, if the government thinks there might be a potential bank problem now (and they do, evidenced by govt and RBA actions taken in last few days), wait until the burden of not paying rent is moved onto landlords. There is still an approximate 30% national holding of housing provided by private landlords, which is the entire point of negative gearing - it removes some of that burden from government.

I have significant buffers in place, however many don't. Whether it's right or wrong, when people default, the market will be flooded with distressed properties, prices will fall and this will add enormous amounts of pressure onto what will already be a strained banking system from PPoR defaults. What needs to happen is that the government shore up rents by having the TENANT apply to GOVERNMENT for extraordinary rental assistance, meeting specific extraordinary criteria, and if approved then that rent still gets paid direct to the landlord/property manager with all normal eviction methods holding firm so landlords are protected. Otherwise, I foresee a bloodbath.

The only thing protecting landlords now is due process. If this is removed by not allowing tribunal arrears and evictions to take place, it completely undermines the system and will be worse for the entire property market, the banking system and, ultimately, the tenants, when this is over.

My caveat to all this and one that has already been said is that throw away lines in the media do not equate to policy. There is a better than even chance that once this is thought through on the ramifications of transferring the burden to private landlords, the policy won't be written as it's being loosely interpreted here (by myself included). In reality we should probably wait for whatever comes out. And hopefully by the time it does, this will be coming out the back end. Remember, fundamentally it's not an economic problem, that is just the symptom.

- Andrew

Antoni0, Annaelsa, The_Billy and 14 others like this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

What does the share market have anything to do with me reducing rent and getting a lump sum payment for a property? no idea what you mean nor any idea what you think I'm undermining.

You sure a fever ain't comin on...:p

Last edited: 21st Mar, 2020
    MTR likes this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Just trying to reduce risk where I can. I sense real estate market sentiment is shifting. Slowly. But I sense it.

MTR likes this.
  10. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

Investment in shares for dividends and IP for rental income and capital gains so we should be in "Double Happiness" mode ;)

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The thread title doesn’t seem accurate - and seems to have panicked some forum members.

When I read the linked article in the OP, I don’t see anything that says the govt has said ‘tenants don’t have to pay rent’. The govt is working on a relief package - yet to be specified.

Some forum members are jumping at shadows.

thatbum, Harris, wylie and 3 others like this.
  12. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Yes, the topic itself is misleading and others just put their own views. Nothing will anyway happen. How could govt can push any landlord to bailout?

The_Billy likes this.
  13. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

Maybe because some have made poor investment choices and are heavily over-exposed now the tide is going out? :rolleyes:

14. FireDragon

FireDragon Well-Known Member

The article says:
    “All Australians are going to be making sacrifices, obviously, in the months ahead.
    “And everyone does have that role to play and that will include landlords, at the end of the day, for people who are enduring real hardship.”

I expect some tenants won't pay rent or request rent reduction and I told my agent I am happy to help the tenants with financial difficulties, but I just hope there is not a large number of them.

Antoni0 likes this.
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

2 Chinese, 1 Korean, 1 Thai.

samiam likes this.
  16. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

Would anyone on here proactively drop rents for 6 months in order to ensure that tenants are motivated to keep paying on time? I'm considering it. Interest rates are lowest possible, it's only fair to pass some gravy to the tenants as well.

Wondering what kind of insurance and legal issues would this create in case the tenants don't pay rent anyway after dropping it?

Last edited: 21st Mar, 2020
  17. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

I did reduce the advertised rent from $650 by $25 per week to pay 6 months rent in advance, tenants agreed as well. I'm thinking of reducing rent by $25 per week for next 3 months for a korean travel guide.

Everyone needs to assist in this hard time on a case by case basis.

Cmelderis likes this.
  18. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

Might be a bit hard for most tenants to pay in advance.

19. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

New tenants- pay in advance if they can pay, as we dont know how they will pay the rent, more risk involved
    Reduce rent- for existing tenants to reward good tenants

20. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

I would never consider paying in advance for rent. There is little leverage left if the landlord decides to forego mandatory landlord obligations.