Government borrowing / printing money - Please explain - for dummies 101

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by See Change, 31st Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Those pensioners wont be spending anything over the next 4-6 months , and they certainly wont be going out to any seniors events that usually fill up their weekly calender, it was a silly policy on the run, and I think it hit their accounts last week.
    They are frugal by nature , and will be saving even more due to their forced isolation .

Absent likes this.
  2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The Aust Govt doesnt print money to increase money. It buys its own securities and bonds on financial markets first from official dealers. If it repays $100b of bonds it withdraws that and prints 100b of cash. Called a repo. Repurchase. To fund repurchase they likely issue longer dated securities like 20 yr bonds to switch for 2 to 5 years expiring bonds. Maybe short bonds and short term bills entities like Medicare hold too.

It converts those liabilities for immediate cash in the economy. Banks will also issue long dated notes to buy bonds and also inject cash. How does Paying cash impact the economy? The govt pays for things. Like stimulus.

Printing currency is something third world economies do. Like Zimbabwe. Ever seen a 200 trillion note. It buys a can of coke .maybe. I can sell you some. I think I have 20+ left. Make a unique gift.

Paul used to be a financial markets dealer for a major bank

Australia...unlike the USA has a rigid rule about borrowing. Remember Khemlani or what killed whitlam? Yeah since the 70s our reserve bank is far more rigid than the us fed.

One of the world rules may be about to be broken. One of the handful of direct currencies is the USD. In Australia if we printed $$$ our currency will be smashed since it's pegged to the USD. But if the USA print it isn't affected. But if confidence collapses it could be valued like the south pacific peso or Fiji coconut. Affecting almost 90% of currencies. The yuan could become a peg. Or the ruble

Too big to fail? They got guns. What could millions of guns do to democracy and politics?

Last edited: 2nd Apr, 2020
  3. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

Who said we need to repay any of the Govt debt?

Currently interest rates are sooo low we can just refinance the debt and roll over indefinitely over and over. Issue new bonds to repay maturing bonds. NO need to raise new taxes. The Govt "Deficit" is just a number.

Trivia:

Did you know, Her Majesty's UK Government has been in debt for over 300 years?

They just "
    Keep Calm and Carry On".

Last edited: 2nd Apr, 2020
    Absent and Codie like this.
  4. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

Seven Deadly Innocent Frauds of Economic Policy
    by Warren Mosler

Fraud #1. The government must raise funds through taxation or borrowing in order to spend. In other words, government spending is limited by its ability to tax or borrow.

Fraud #2. With government deficits, we are leaving our debt burden to our children.

Fraud #3. Government budget deficits take away savings.

Fraud #4. Social Security is broken.

Fraud #5. The trade deficit is an unsustainable imbalance that takes away jobs and output.

Fraud #6. We need savings to provide the funds for investment.

Fraud #7. It’s a bad thing that higher deficits today mean higher taxes tomorrow.

Read more: http://moslereconomics.com/wp-content/powerpoints/7DIF.pdf

Absent likes this.
  5. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

geee ...

Now I've got a headache .

OK

My simplistic view . We live in the best country in the world . Vast hoards of people would love to live here . If we're stuffed then the whole world's a goner and I don't think that the case .

How this all plays out ? I don't know .

I'm thinking that the world will become a more isolated place for a while and at least for around seven years ( that's around how long it takes for the community to forget how badly we stuffed up ) , with countries wanting to be able to produce their own basic essentials ( issuing they can ) . How does this play out ? Import tariffs , Quota's , Subsidies for local industry , all against current free trade , but that might be one of the things out the window or at least seriously reviewed / Maybe countries will be allowed to introduce enough protection to protect essential supplies...

The initial response is that it could hurt china as they've relied on growth by producing for the rest of the world , but their growing middle class will support ingrowing growth at a lower rate .

Carnival / Royal Carribean lines are stuffed for a while .

cliff

6. Patrico1966

Patrico1966 Well-Known Member

I cant see where the over 65 pensioners will spend this money. If they do spend it, what's the point? They spend $750 on clothes (because how much food can a 75 year old eat?) and apparently to keep the economy going and that money goes into a business that is receiving 80% of its wages bill by the Govt and then what happens? It's ridiculous, no-one in their right mind would support this economic trash. Never see Rio or BHP do that type of thing.

7. melbourne171

melbourne171 Well-Known Member

So, it is better to hold properties and physical assets rather than cash or shares as cash or share will lose the values . Do you agree?

Mr Burns and Beano like this.
  8. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

I never understood all the noise about the US trade deficit last year...
    because USs biggest export is their currency, not any goods,
    A currency which only they can print and the rests have to earn

It took china more than 3 decades to accumulate 1.5 trillion in savings,
    and took US just over a weekend to get 6 trillion in spending.... all out of thin air.

What one can print.... the rests has to earn,
    must be the biggest running Ponzi of our times,
    Ponzis are after all trust game, it works till it doesn't,
    till then..... "In Ponzi we trust"

spoon likes this.
  9. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

and more $US they print, the world market loves it even more ;) The Neverending Story

10. np999

np999 Well-Known Member

11. Mr Burns

Mr Burns Well-Known Member

If that happened then yes. Inflation would wipe away our mortgage debt.

melbourne171 likes this.
  12. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

13. icic

icic Well-Known Member

thats why US was hell bend on containing China, all the issues they have pointed about the Chinese government might have merits in looking at pure morality's perspective, but the hidden US agenda is rather sinister, it takes a completely idiot(our pm? ) not to see that. To loose the number 1 spot and subsequently world reserve currency will make their economy completely unsustainable. This is a from a economics prospective, I am not taking sides politically.

Terry_w likes this.
  14. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

The outcome is this debate: This millennial reckons baby boomers have had it 'too easy" :rolleyes:

There will be selective inflations (my invention). Scarce assets, eg., property, will be more expensive. But salary will become cheaper, in real terms. Also because of effectiveness in manufacturing and processes, it is cheaper to manufacture and produce. Anyway, you need more $$ to acquire scarce/limited resources, eg. property. :(

15. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

He is not an idiot, or maybe he is... but his hands are tied. :rolleyes:

16. icic

icic Well-Known Member

well I suppose he is not, he received a medal of honour from the Trump University haha... o_O

17. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Money printer go brrr

Codie and John_BridgeToBricks like this.
  18. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Sorry, that's proven otherwise. Will I be sued for defamation or Admin will delete my post? :eek:

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I am still a dummy I just dont get any of this

BTW. AUD 77

20. icic

icic Well-Known Member

Last edited: 3rd Feb, 2021

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia