Got the keys - now what?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Nimble, 15th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nimble

Nimble Well-Known Member

I got keys to my first ever IP in Perth about a month ago. Since then I had some landscaping done and I signed up with a PM. Property is currently being advertised for rent. What's the next step? Is it getting a valuer to come in and tell me how much it's worth, how much I can borrow for my next IP and give me a depreciation schedule? When is the best time to do this? Now - before tenants move in or wait for market to pick up and do it then to get better figures?

Is there anything else I need to be doing? I already have a letterbox, rubbish bins, all services connected except internet, clothes line.

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Get a depreciation schedule done by a quantity surveyor, and wait for some good tenants :)

It's probably too early to get equity out, but if you have other funds you could start planning number 2 at least.

3. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Agree. And get an accountant who understands property investment. Too early to draw out equity IMHO.

4. Nimble

Nimble Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Forgot to mention this is for a home just built.

Have you got any recommendations for Perth? My PM mentioned BMT and Depro.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I hear @fullylucky has prepared his own depreciation schedule.

Phantom and bob shovel like this.
  6. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Step 1: Buy a property

Step 2: ??????????

Step 3: Profit!

House likes this.
  7. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

BMT is good ... pricing for schedules depends on area. Sometimes a certain depreciation company has to pay commuting costs for their closest assessor to attend and thus another company is cheaper. Check a couple out re pricing.

I'd be waiting to have a tenant secured on your current property before you get too excited about the next one. Firstly for peace of mind and secondly because if you went for another loan the lender would want to see property management statements showing that your first IP is actually bringing in an income.

Sonamic likes this.
  8. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Get BMT through now, before tenant goes in while it's all sparkly and new and of no inconvenience to the future tenant. And Congrats!

9. Nimble

Nimble Well-Known Member

Thanks again guys, I went with BMT :) Keep thinking they stand for Big Meaty Taste!

Tranquilo likes this.
  10. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

How early is too early to get a bank to revalue for the purposes of equity redraw?
    If a full paint, new carpet, bathroom tartup and yard tidyup was done is there an opportunity to revalue within weeks/months? How about if a few surrounding homes started selling for 15-20% more than what you paid?

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia