Technology & Social Media Google? Help me here.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by T.C., 8th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. T.C.

T.C. Well-Known Member

Who knows about how google works?

I've stumbled onto some historical info that's hugely interesting to me and people who live in my immediate area. However not so much to others. I've digitised the written paper and put photos with it.

I've done two stories. Ive put on a web site I started and run myself. Here,....

Surveying Warrah. - www.warrah1912subdivision.com

Surveying Peels R. - www.warrah1912subdivision.com

So why does google pick up the top story, but not the bottom one? It's like the bottom one doesn't exist yet the top one comes up as first google pick? The bottom one was done two months later and has had less hits so far as a result.

If you cut and paste stuff from the second story into google search, google will even eventually link you to the top one, but not the story it's from.

Just a bit confused?

Last edited: 8th Jul, 2016
  2. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

The algorithm makes a decision based on which piece of content is more important. The first page is where most of the content is so that's given precedence.

In other words Google looks at your website and gives 80% weight to the first page and 20% to the second page. It's not so important with reference sites like that but imagine if you were selling something, lets say tool boxes and all google showed is your website when someone searched for tool boxes. The users would be ****** because there is no variety in the search results.

In the old days you would often search for something and a site could have the top 3 results, it doesn't work like that any more.

3. T.C.

T.C. Well-Known Member

So I'd have thought the second one would still get picked up? But just later? Even pages later? But google doesn't find it at all.

See ya's.

4. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

5. T.C.

T.C. Well-Known Member

It's only a few weeks old. Is that the problem? If so, thanks.

Didn't know that how long its been on the net would determine if google picked it up?

See ya's.

6. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Depends how active the site is. Your site is might only get crawled once a month if that. news.com.au would get crawled every 5 minutes.

Click that link I put up in a few weeks and it will probably be there by then. Also help if you have a site map or it is linked to somehow within the site.

7. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I just clicked your link too. That will help (if people keep doing it).

8. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

No it won't but the fact he linked to it from this site that would get spidered often will.