Good walks with a dog around Melbourne/Vic

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by ellejay, 27th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I need to spend 3 days around Melbourne (collecting hubby from airport following his holidays on Thursday pm and taking him to appointment in Melb on Monday). Thought it'd be good if I went down there and stayed with him and did some walking. I'd love to take the dog. Am I dreaming or is there a nice country/bush area around Melbourne (up to 1.5hr or so drive) where we can go for days out and walk (couple of hours walking more or less, open views not just in a forest) but also take the dog?

2. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

Westerfolds Park, Templestowe. Dogs welcome but you may have to dodge the roos. Warrandyte, along the river but watch out for snakes this weather. These are close to me but there are plenty of others.

3. Beanie Girl

Beanie Girl Well-Known Member

Darebin parklands - very happy dogs run off-leash there in large areas
    Separation Street Alphington - 7 km from the city

Darebin Parklands

Darebin Parklands has a natural bush and country feel that is unique given it is only 7km from the Melbourne CBD. There are hidden treasures within the park including remnant orchards and crops that were grown on the fringe of a growing city during the mid-1800s. A dairy farm, vineyard, quarry and tip site were all at times active industries within the bounds of the park, and clues of this can still be found if one knows where to look.

The Parklands houses staff of the DCMC, in the aptly named Darebin Creek Environment Centre. The Environment Centre is the working hub of environmental education in the Darebin Creek Catchment, where school, TAFE and university students, along with community groups and interested people can utilise the skills and facilities on offer.

For picnickers and visitors the Darebin Parklands have toilets and free electric BBQs and plenty of open grassy areas to kick back and relax.

Access to the park is either via Separation St, Alphington, or from Rockbeare Grove, Ivanhoe. Arrive via public transport from Alphington or Darebin Station or from the 508 Bus on Separation Street.

Esel, ellejay, Xenia and 1 other person like this.
  4. ellejay

Thanks Chrispy. I haven't heard of that place, we'll give that a go. The dog stays on the lead anyway for her own sake.

5. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

ellejay likes this.
  6. ellejay

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to the trip now. I find it quite hard here to find interesting places to walk with our dog so it'll be awesome to try somewhere new.

EN710 likes this.
  7. charpj

charpj Well-Known Member

Como Park then along the Yarra - plenty of dog friendly places along the way to grab a coffee
    St Kilda beach - dogs off area aswell

ellejay likes this.
  8. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

Do you know what area you will be staying in?

9. ellejay

We haven't arranged anywhere yet other than Thursday night at an airport hotel. Any recommendations would be very much welcomed :)