Good time to short

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Sackie, 24th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Been shorting for last few months.

Much more market uncertainty to come. If there ever is a time to go short, it's here.

Also massive buying opportunities at the other end.

Not advice. Dyor.

Last edited: 24th Feb, 2022
  2. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

I'm not a shorter... but we are now surely starting to enter a bear market for a few months where the cost of energy and large inflation will put a real fear into the world economy. Probably lead to a recession in some parts of the world. Will be great buying soon.

S&P support breached last night in the US. It's on!

Sackie likes this.
  3. Alex AB

Alex AB Well-Known Member

I don’t trade so I don’t short. But want to buy some more ETF in the next few months so put a order 30 mins ago and let’s see if it will hit today. If not, will do so again when it is at my predetermined level.

Sackie, Anne11 and gman65 like this.
  4. Alex AB

Alex AB Well-Known Member

Seem so but if the war creates inflation due to higher energy price, I think they will leave it alone as it is hopefully transitionary. Also they won’t want to raise rate to rock the economy any further.

Hopefully Russia will stop soon; or go hard and go home. Else this uncertainty will depress the market even longer.

5. eyespy1

eyespy1 Well-Known Member

My shares are all in the red but yes buying opportunities coming up as lots of things are looking cheap.

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

They will look even cheaper by this time next week.

7. Wilko

Wilko Well-Known Member

Shopping time....

8. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Hope you are still shorting crypto too... seems like the easiest target in times of uncertainty these days.

9. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I've been around long enough to see this is nothing but a blip.

Meh.

I'm going to be buying tomorrow. Long term we'll be back to normal. I'm not even reading the news cause I don't give a damn.

Eggman, Skinman, The Artisan and 2 others like this.
  10. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

Been short a bunch of stuff since Jan (eg QQQ, MGK, EWG and stocks), just as a hedge to manage risk. But I'm long a whole lot more other stuff that I'm either locked into or still want for the long term.

Looking at the various tech stocks since February, it's been brutal.. though they had a very fast runup after COVID. Some of these are getting into overpunished territory. ROKU fell 25% in one day this week, starting to see some overreactions on already beaten down stocks. Fear is ruling things now though so fundamentals won't matter until that changes a bit.

Sackie likes this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I am.

I am actually using a separate account to short crypto so if there is a flash move against me, most of my funds are safe. I also regularly transfer profits out into another account. I just don't trust the volatility of crypto, so i'm keeping it on a very tight leash in terms of my exposure.

DanW and Piston_Broke like this.
  12. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

I've shorted some currencies. Switched to using trend followers and sure enough here they come.
    Shorted the AUDUSD GPBCAD GPBJPY yesterday. Fell so fast i could'nt get to all accounts.
    Staying away from crypto and stocks, didn't get a chance to enter and have enough disciplin to not chase the market....most times.
    262.png 259.png

MWI, TheRons, DanW and 1 other person like this.
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Shorting US stocks, my return over the last few months ranges from 50% lowest to over 100% return. I'm not even looking at real estate at the moment. I'm using a small amount of leverage, approx 20%. .

Risk level for me started at moderate and is now low-moderate.

Lost a bit on currency trading as become too eratic for me , probably around 220k. Got too greedy with lot size lol.

Purely shorting equities now.

Last edited: 8th Mar, 2022
    MWI likes this.
  14. Brumbie

Brumbie Well-Known Member

Shorting commodities? I don't know many that are down. They are all going parabolic. Are you on the intraday time frames?

Skinman, Sackie and The Falcon like this.
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

lol was thinking equities (as per my earlier posts in this thread) but commodities was on my mind! Mostly shorting tech and believe it or not.. crypto. I swore i wouldn't touch that stuff...but..

Brumbie likes this.
  16. Brumbie

Brumbie Well-Known Member

Thank god. I wasn't going to say it. It's your money, but shorting commodities would be burning money atm. Phew. I have made a few quid shorting the DAX lately as well. Big moves happening. Good luck!

Sackie likes this.
  17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I was watching the DAX, yeah some moves are crazy. I got greedy with currency :oops: and was doing too large lot sizes. We lost actually closer to 260k. Maybe a bit less. One time I typed in the wrong lot size (realised it a few mins later) with no SL and lost 10k in a few minutes lol. I got brazen from my fortunes in the stock market during covid.

My shorting of mostly US stocks since late last years till now.. has been... spectacular tbh. Its insane the kinds of money you can make (and lose) in such a short period of time. We (business partner and I) started with around...in total... i think just over 3mil. We are give or take around 7m plus atm.

Funny thing is, I never had the risk tolerance for stocks....until COVID showed me what was possible. COVID has been a disaster for so many, but also a blessing for many.

TheRons, bamp and Brumbie like this.
  18. sqe

sqe Well-Known Member

What are you shorting?

You watching the commodities that Russia export? Oil, gas, wheat, nickel, palladium? When things settle down in that part of the world, shorting those commodities seems a smart play

19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

See my posts above. Not commodities. Equities.

20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

DJIA lost 2.3%

NASDAQ lost 3.6%

I've added another 400k to my US shorts.

Brace yourselves for today lads.

datto likes this.