VIC Good Melbourne South-Eastern & Eastern Suburbs to live in

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by alexau, 27th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. alexau

alexau Member

Hello everyone,

I am looking for your opinion on what good South-Eastern & Eastern suburbs in Melbourne are.

I am planning to purchase a unit (not apartment) under $700K and to live there for an extended period of time.

My criterias as follows:
    1. Overall, it must be considered as a good suburb by Melbourne standards.
    2. Close proximity to public transport (train or tram). I would not rely on buses. Max 15 minutes walking to a train or tram stop.
    3. Low crime rate
    4. Good demographics: predominantly white well-educated population; no nationalities associated with high crime rates; no or minimum people with low social economic background; no public housing in the area; no asylum seekers
    5. Must be no further than Cheltenham, Clayton, Glen Waverley, Nunawading

Please express your opinions and elaborate the reasons.

Thanks

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I would also include Smartbus routes (90x) in the consideration.

Reason: there are some nice suburbs (eg where i live :cool:) which has no train. But the smartbus services run every 10~15 minutes at peak (as often as trains), often have dedicated bus lanes (eg along Doncaster Rd), and can run express to the city along the eastern fwy. They run pretty much all hours that trains run (i.e. from early morning to late at night, 7 days per week).

Trams on the other hand - I think generally are not great unless there is a dedicated tramway (ie along Burwood hwy). I tried to catch a 75 tram from Burwood to the CIty. I gave up at hawthorn and jumped onto a train.

The Y-man

Hamish Blair likes this.
  3. The Y-man

You need to be careful with this one - some really "nice" suburbs can have very high "petty" crime rates (rich houses are enticing for break in), but low "life threatening" ones.

The Y-man

4. The Y-man

I would say you would pretty much wipe out almost all of the East and SE.

The Y-man

5. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

there's the demographic map - though the question is what can 700K buy you ?

upload_2018-3-27_20-29-25.png

alexau, sauber, Sticky and 2 others like this.
  6. NWHT

NWHT Well-Known Member

Great demographic map @melbournian! Which website is this from?

7. The Y-man

Need to take stonnington and port phillip out as they have a higher crime rate than most of Melbourne.
    i.e. toorak, prahran, malvern, armadale, albert park, St Kilda, Elwood are all out.

The Y-man

8. The Y-man

Prahran, St Kilda, Elwood also have a large number of public housing tenants.

The Y-man

9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Great map. Does this mean that people born in Australia cant afford to live there?

10. Spiderman

Spiderman Well-Known Member

While not stated I believe the map shows the second most common place of birth.

In all suburbs except one or two (Clayton/Clarinda?) Australia is the most common country of birth.

11. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Most places with a high(er) population density are going to have a high crime rate just because they draw a lot of people. So you will need to cross out many places that have otherwise appealing amenities such as lots of shops, restaurants, bars, ect if this important to you

12. Banister

Banister Member

I'm a white Australian but do find this a little disturbing

Newbie_9863, Sheikht and Air_Bender like this.
  13. The Y-man

Last edited: 27th Mar, 2018
  14. alexau

alexau Member

I was talking about a reasonable combination of all those factors. There could be several good reasons that outweigh one bad reason.

It would be wrong to focus on crime rate only. I am familiar with Toorak, Malvern, Brighton, etc. Despite crime rate, these are some of the most desirable and most expensive suburbs in Melbourne.
    If you look at home break in statistics, you will find that situation in Brighton is far worse than in Springvale for example but this does not make Springvale better that Brighton and everyone in Melbourne would know that.

I more worry about crimes like sexual assaults, robberies, carjacking, home invasions, drugs.

15. supersam80

supersam80 Well-Known Member

Ivanhoe or Ivanhoe East should be achievable for a villa unit at $700k. One without a garage sold in malvern east last weekend for $610k too

16. The Y-man

I absolutely agree - as I posted early on in this thread, crime stats need to be split on "serious" vs "petty". What I am really trying to point out is that any reliance on statistics (such as crime, nationalities associated with crime, levels of education, numbers of asylum seekers) can mean very skewed results.

The Y-man

Last edited: 28th Mar, 2018
  17. The Y-man

18. alexau

alexau Member

I have never considered Ivanhoe or Ivanhoe East. How good are those suburbs?
    It is possible to find a villa unit at $700k in many other areas as well, including Malvern East as you mentioned.

BTW, I went to inspect the unit in Malvern East you were talking about. The only problem was that it has no garage or undercover car park. The agent told me that a car park is on front lawn between bushes. This was a deal breaker for me. Otherwise, the unit was OK.

19. Knights of Ni

Knights of Ni Well-Known Member

Honestly...you sound like a racist and you would do better in another City... good luck in your search.

Phillip Khuon and Banister like this.
  20. Lewis

Lewis Active Member

Can you please elaborate?

I'm having trouble understanding your definition of "Good demographics". How skin colour would make "Overall", a "good suburb by Melbourne standards"

Air_Bender likes this.