VIC Good location in Bayswater

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by indiantiger, 17th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. indiantiger

indiantiger Well-Known Member

looking to buy a house or townhouse in Bayswater, Melbourne

Any Guidance on which are the good pockets in this suburb ?

Thanks Mate

2. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

Wantirna College Catchment Zone

SW pocket which is in Wantirna College and close to Knox city. It is far from the train but I would not recommend training out to the city anyway as it takes a very long time

3. indiantiger

indiantiger Well-Known Member

I will be commuting to Richmond by train

In this case you don’t recommend Bayswater ?

Cheers

4. Ghoti

Ghoti Well-Known Member

Its a 35 minute trip on the train from Bayswater to Richmond with trains every 10 minutes in peak period. Up to you whether or not that's too far. Plenty of folk commute far longer - Bayswater is on the Belgrave line.

5. James Baker

James Baker Well-Known Member

I was also surprised by Kaibo answer

Cheers

6. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member Business Member

I live in the next suburb, but close enough to Bayswater that I go two streets away and I hit Bayswater.

My main recommendation would be to stay Boronia side of Mountain Highway. The opposite side you've got Hamilton Road, Glen Park Road, Elmhurst Road band Canterbury Road - all of which have a very high number of units (but would also generally fall into Bayswater North). They're great if you need something cheap, but wouldn't be my first pick if you have the budget for a "better" pocket.

If you want to be walking distance to the shops there and the station, there's a few streets with similar not so great pockets - but there's been quite a bit of development both sides of Mountain Highway that means they're getting more modern townhouses and apartments (which may or may not be ideal).

There's some reasonable places between High Street and Orange Grove and also the opposite side of Scoresby Road (Farnham and Sinclair Road). Hope that helps a little!

7. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

If you consider the most express train is 39 minutes from Parliament to Bayswater assuming no delays and 10 minutes to train from home and 10 minutes from train to office? So 2 hour daily commute which is the best case scenario 5 days a week is not what I would choose. Also gets pretty rough at the station at night even with PSO.

Just saying if you work in the city maybe consider some other options as PPOR

8. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

I lived in Bayswater and your spot on, the commute was shocking! I absolutely hated it.

If your hop off is Flinders St you have 2 options. Ride the loop for 10-15 minutes.
    OR switch at Richmond, wait for another train (admittedly not long) but then wait for a MINIMUM 10 minutes before that gets the green light to enter Flinders.

That’s on top of the 35-40 it already took the train plus getting to station and waiting for train.
    1 hour was on a good day door to door then times by 2 and then by 5. 10 hours a week in the daily commute...
    If I ever commute 10 hours a week again it will be from a regional or coastal town, not Bayswater which let’s just say is not the most desireable train station...

9. Ghoti

Ghoti Well-Known Member

OP is only travelling to Richmond, so loop time is not an issue for OP.

Many folks commute much longer (e.g. Pakenham line is standing room only from Berwick onwards). Just saying.

I spent 30yrs commuting 100 minutes each way. Woulda loved to be closer but couldn't buy a house on an acre block for the same price in Toorak. Where there is a spend limit tradeoffs need to be made. The OP needs to consider if the commute time is OK, or if a smaller PPoR closer in is preferred.

My aunt lives in Bayswater North, and granted she doesn't often travel to the city...but then again she is 93.

kaibo likes this.
  10. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

I am sure you could find something North or West with similar house/land size as Bayswater that is closer/quicker commute to City and the surrounds.

My main point is proximity to train station is not as big a plus for a suburb which is 40 minutes train to city as opposed to somewhere which is more like 20 minutes

A lot more people that live in Bayswater are people that don't go regularly to City so more tradies and people that work around the area.

That's why in this care for PPOR and IP I would recommend somewhere with a good school zone even if it is further from the station but is closer to a more desirable suburb as well (Wantirna)