QLD Good growth still possible further out?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Yani Vee, 23rd Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Yani Vee

Yani Vee Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Just in the midst of purchasing my first proper and also IP. Looking at Brisbane. When I started window shopping a couple years ago, money went much further haha. I've since been pushed further out and just wanted people opinions on preferable suburbs, areas of said suburbs (saw a post saying southside of Kallangar, info like that), any insights people may have about them and whether people think decent capital growth is achievable in these suburbs once things slow down?
    Currently looking between 20-30kms from the CBD @ 650k max purchase price.
    Not a lot of stock is coming up on the south side
    North has the suburbs from Strathpine stretching back to Petrie and then towards Deception Bay (all suburbs along that line). Have seen some as close as Bracken Ridge, but much rarer.
    Should I be sacrificing a larger piece of land (say 600-700m2) to get a little closer in (400-450m2)?
    Would love some insight. I like the idea of getting as close as I can even if I give up a little land or pay slightly. Is that the right thinking? Or are these suburbs gentrifying and I will be ok? Kallangar and the likes didn't have the greatest reputation when I was growing up. I know Melb and Sydney have high house prices as far out as 40-50km so maybe someday BNE will get there... haha This will be a buy and hold strategy. Maybe someday far down the line if I could develop I would consider it.
    Cheers

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I would buy middle ring. 5 to 600sqm lot in a good demand suburb. Good suburb, old house with nice land component. You will struggle to get that for 650k so use your budget to get AS CLOSE TO THAT SCENAIO as possible. Try to stay as close to middle ring as possible. Add value home too. Do your research to see which suburbs those may be.

And please, please, please DONT buy an apartment. DYOR.

3. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

For that budget distance from the CBD is not as relevant in Moreton Bay as most locals work in the area, someone posted the stats from the council planning schemes a while ago. Growth drivers, infrastructure, % OO and incomes are more important. All areas from Strathpine to Kallangur will only continue to do well with the commercial precinct being built that will add high paying employment to the area. Peninsula also offers great value for that budget if you pick the areas with KDRB. In regard to ongoing capital growth have a look at how the suburbs performed in the slow down 2018 / 2019, those with high %OO continued to bubble along whilst those with high % investors struggled and lost ground.

Yani Vee likes this.
  4. Yani Vee

Haha definitely not buying an apartment. Looks at established free standing house on at least 400m2. Moat have been more in the realm of 600m2. And looking at mostly established brick homes. Thank you though

Sackie likes this.
  5. Yani Vee

Sorry KDRB?

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Knock Down Rebuild

7. Yani Vee

I see. Thanks for that. Hadnt heard the acronym before