QLD Gold Coast Property News 2018

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by big max, 4th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. lost nomad

lost nomad Well-Known Member

Annual land valuation notice received for GC property. 15.5 % increase

2. gtr

gtr New Member

Received mine as well . Mine at Robina went from 315k to 345k

3. Whiteman

Whiteman Well-Known Member

4. Whiteman

Whiteman Well-Known Member

5. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

lost nomad and josh123 like this.
  6. fat cactus

fat cactus Well-Known Member

Best place to invest 500k for capital growth on the coast? Unit in a small block in Mermaid Waters?

7. MissMel

MissMel Well-Known Member

Hi All, looking at a great two bed, 1bath, 1 garage walk up in Broadbeach. Has direct ocean views and is low maintenance/renovated, so fantastic to Airbnb/rent. Any locals have any thoughts on units in the area? Looking for investment to hold long-term. I’m expecting it’ll sell for mid 5s. Thank you :)

The Gambler likes this.
  8. Phineas

Phineas Well-Known Member

“Coast house prices ser to soar”

- Article attached

Attached Files:

9. josh123

josh123 Well-Known Member

Calling on the Locals @Mel_C @Player @Dan Donoghue or anyone else.

Has anyone been on the ground in the Gold Coast specifically Freestanding houses in and around Mermaid Waters close to the highway and beach looking at opens? Has the market changed much especially after the commonwealth games.

10. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Market has stalled (maybe even peaked) IMHO. Might be a little more upside next year, but I doubt it. To my mind market is fully priced here now. Mermaid Waters east of Sunshine Bvd (walkable to beach) doesn't have much on market at present although this might change after Christmas and into New Year.

Rental market is slowwww over much of the Gold Coast since Commonwealth Games and this is verified by a few property managers I've spoken to. All of this applies to free standing houses and similar. The plethora of cranes persists and my view is tears in a couple of years for much of the high rise stock.

Merely 0.02............ Not advice.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  11. Nuncasuficiente

Nuncasuficiente Well-Known Member

12. josh123

Thanks @Player I thought as much. I've currently got a house for sale off market to test the waters in that good little pocket to see if there's any interest. We were moving up that way but our circumstances have now changed so I'm trying to work out if I should sell or keep it as an IP. The decisions hard one.

13. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

Noticing a lot more for sale signs poping up in Mermaid and Miami for houses. I agree with @Player I think we have peaked and houses particularly could potentially follow Sydney.

14. Dees

Dees New Member

I have been on the ground searching for a PPOR on the southern end of the Gold Coast for the past 12 months.

My opinion from being out in the market is a noticeable drop in demand. This is based purely on attending open homes every Saturday and talking to agents.

A hell of a lot less people out looking compared to pre comm games.

Based on this I would say we are past peak. Although this could be personal bias as we are still looking for our PPOR and would like prices to decline

15. josh123

Thanks @Mel_C and @Dees I've only just put the property for sale in the last 3 days and I have already had quite a bit of interest off market. If I don't get a good offer I might advise it in the new year.

16. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

A couple of doors down from us just listed looking for mid 9's. Close to the beach, Pac Fair and highway but nestled in a quiet cul de sac. So quiet that all the kids get out together most weekends and play cricket or on their bikes, just running around having fun, it reminds me massively of Sydney's west in the 80's :)

3 FRASCATI STREET, Mermaid Waters, Qld 4218

Just been reno'd, Dry block, no pool. The dry blocks are quite small, mine is under 600 sqm.

If you don't mind being on the main road, there are other options like this: 128 Sunshine Boulevard, Mermaid Waters, Qld 4218 Slightly bigger block, extra bedroom, pool.

In my experience rental yields are amazing up here, our old house in Sydney just listed for 550 and we sold it for 860K a year ago, our place up here we had rented out at 825 and we bought it for 884K, pretty much the same price but massive difference on rent.

Dollars aside, moving up here is quite frankly one of the best things I have ever done. We walk everywhere, we are healthier & happier. It really is paradise and I would recommend you get up here asap from a lifestyle point of view ;).

Completely agree with others, the market has peaked here, if you buy up here it's going to be for lifestyle and long term increase, doubtful there are any short term increases to be made here.

kierank and Toon like this.
  17. josh123

Thanks @Dan Donoghue The decisions been a hard one.

I do like that property at 3 Frascati it looks immaculate.

18. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

It's a decent reno by the looks of things but for me personally, a pool was a must have.

Miami and Palmy have some decent places also but we personally preferred mermaid over the other suburbs.

Incidentally the lady who lives between the one for sale and my place was the 18th house in Mermaid Waters, back when she bough there there were cows wondering around during the day :). It's quite interesting listening to her stories about the area and how it has changed from decade to decade. The kids used to wonder down to the canals and come home with a few mud crabs most weekends.

We flew up for an auction with the intention of buying this place "to retire into in 15ish years"

By the time we were on the plane home just a few hours after we won the auction we had decided we wanted to be there within 5 years.

By the time I went to work the following day we had decided 2 years max

When I came home from work on the Monday work had agreed to me relocating 12 months later lol, we just fell in love with it once it was ours and all up it was 12 months and 1 day post settlement that we moved in :).

josh123, pwt, orangestreet and 2 others like this.
  19. Rozz

Rozz Well-Known Member

I'm back up the north end. It's very quiet around Helensvale, Coombah, upper coomera, Parkwood. The 1m and above is still selling, but much more slowly.

There are some better sized blocks at reasonable prices coming on the market, and some with a bit of character, the type of stock which I haven't seen on the market for the last few years.

I'd say it peaked through the second half of 2017, and we're just now starting to see things selling under the last buy price

Tom Rivera likes this.
  20. fat cactus

fat cactus Well-Known Member

Looking at buying an IP in Carrara area with a view to it being our PPOR in around 5yrs time. Is better to hold off a while if prices are coming down?