QLD Gold Coast Most Popular Suburbs

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Mel_C, 24th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

I noticed there have been a few people asking about what suburbs to buy in on the Gold Coast.

Gold Coast’s 10 most in-demand suburbs - realestate.com.au

The top ten are popular with owner occupiers, investors and retirees. But probably most importantly these are the suburbs the local Gold Coasters aspire to now. The focus of Gold Coast property buying is definitely the south rather than the north. The big money is no longer buying in the Hope Islands etc but now Burleigh Heads is where you will find the doctors etc.

I live locally and can confirm prices are still moving in the southern Gold Coast though they have been moving along quietly for some time.

Be wary of the new high rises springing up in Palm Beach. The once sleepy suburb is now being pummelled with a large amount of high density living much to the dismay of local residents.

MWI, TAJ, lost nomad and 3 others like this.
  2. lost nomad

lost nomad Well-Known Member

Looks like I picked a winner ;)

Mel_C likes this.
  3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

The northern end of the GC does not impress me - too many Mexicans :eek:.

Let’s keep the southern end of the GC (my preferred area) a secret :D.

MWI and Mel_C like this.
  4. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

I agree. I don’t mind paradise point up the northern end but yes the south is my preferred location to. Supposedly the infill between Coomera and Pimpama the population added to that area over next 10 years will be more than population of Townsville. So hopefully everyone will stay up that end ;)

kierank likes this.
  5. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Northern Mexicans? What is going on?

6. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Anyone north of the Brisbane River :D.

ChrisP73 likes this.
  7. Yann

Yann Well-Known Member

Hi Mel
    Note that it all depends on your end goal and strategy. I agree higher end detached houses between Burleigh and Currumbin close to the water will always be very sought after.
    But note the City of Gold Coast has just publicly released some material in the proposed update of the city plan. Biggest growth area will be in the north of the Gold Coast (Biggera Waters, Southport East and Labrador).
    Here: CITY PLAN UPDATES | The suburbs likely to cop the brunt of growing Gold Coast population – myGC.com.au
    Yann

8. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

Yes certainly depends on your plan and strategy there could be some potential in splitter blocks near the water moving forward in those areas you mention as what has been happening in Miami lots of duplexes going up. Also cheaper land values.
    The southern areas though are running out of land and as you can see from the article are the most viewed areas online and in demand with locals as they are now affluent areas and schools are improving and as we know Central / southern Gold Coast has some of the best access to facilities in Australia. We are very spoilt to have PAC Fair and Robina Town Centre so close.
    Will be interesting to see if the change to us being a regional centre not a city will have further impact on migration numbers as it will make it easier for international students and skilled workers to locate here.

9. Songo

Songo Well-Known Member

Hi all interested in GC as an investment location. I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on the climate council report from earlier this year which suggests that the Gold Coast will be hardest hit (compared to other locations in Aus) by 2030 due to the effect of rising sea levels?

There are many locations on the GC that will not be affected by rising sea levels in the next 100 yrs, but others will likely be impacted within the next 15-20 yrs. Do you think that the impact to low lying areas though will push up prices in the "safe" suburbs, or will they drag prices down across ALL investment grade suburbs on the Gold Coast?

Climate change could slash $571b from property values, study warns

Last edited: 2nd Dec, 2019
  10. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

The houses directly on beach , flood prone areas, bush fire prone areas could all be affected. But this goes for all areas of Australia. They have just spent millions in my local GC suburb installing storm water drains so we are pretty safe here now from flooding. Though it has never flooded here while I have lived here so was a very costly excercise but gives people jobs :)

11. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

12. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

*Could* happen
    Likely the values won't be affected until it does happen (if it even does)

13. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Bush fire prone areas will be affected by rising sea levels? huh? :confused:

14. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

Haha who knows the world is going crazy maybe they will!

Lindsay_W likes this.
  15. Jockosaurus

Jockosaurus Well-Known Member

16. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

I dont know I am going to miss my $10 Palmi and beer I love a good cheap eat.. The Burleigh effect is now flowing through to Miami.

Just read this in the Todd Herron White Report

"Our predictions were that prices in suburbs such as Burleigh Waters, Mermaid Waters and Broadbeach Waters may have reached a peak as the market was quite heated at the time. Almost twelve months later and these areas have remained resilient. Local agents are still reporting strong levels of demand for housing in these suburbs and price levels have not weakened. Due to a lack of stock in these areas, neighbouring areas such as Miami have benefited as buyers look for an alternative option as a result of the shortage. There are no signs of market activity easing in these areas moving into 2020."

Does not sound like they really have any idea what the market is doing ! lol.

17. Jockosaurus

What a coincidence- I love a cheap date :)

I'm no expert but things did seem to fall back a little in the 12 months following the Comm Games but are back up now if these recent sales are anything to go by:

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-qld-miami-132031354

West facing, no yard, wrong side of highway, yet went for $980k.

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-qld-miami-132031354

Opulent in the Bali style but even further from the beach (and no beach view despite the three levels) and went for $1.48m! Whoever paid that doesn't want a $10 parmi ;-)

18. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

No I’m going to have to head back to Nerang now for my cheap eats and cheap movie :)

1/44 Dawn Parade, Miami, Qld 4220

This one just sold to. On busy roundabout no yard. If they got asking price not bad.

I remember when I did not buy a house on Lesley Ave for $440k. Now it’s million dollar plus street 9 Lesley Avenue, Miami, Qld 4220.

Market has certainly picked up last 6 months.

Player likes this.
  19. Jockosaurus

They have done well to turn one of those awful post war bungalows into a nice $1m+ property. That front deck jars a bit though.

I wonder if finally securing $$$ for the next stage of light rail is driving the market up?

Enjoy Nerang! :)

Player likes this.
  20. gerege

gerege Well-Known Member

Pimpama best suburb :)