QLD Gold Coast IP potential & flooding map

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by fumid, 10th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

Gold Coast has been announced as the 8th World Surfing Reserve, think they have bid potential there, beach side is mostly apartments.
    Do you think apartment closed to beach has big potential?
    Or you prefer a house like in Robina area?
    And according to flood map, seems pretty much all flood area!
    http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/gcplanningscheme_0110/maps_overlay_om17.html
    Any one has good website for a house flood report?

upload_2016-3-10_11-52-30.png

2. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Don't know about Merrimac but the area towards the coast is the canal ways? @big max ?

3. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

Ture, lots canal there so should stay away from flood?

4. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I'm not in a position to answer but there are some great spots on the canal ways around Broadbeach.

5. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

6. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

Those areas in Carrara and Merimac are flood plains.....the houses dont flood. They are trying to build new unit developments on the flood plains around there so be wary of them .

Im not aware of any houses ever flooding on the gold coast....the roads in certain areas get flooded but never heard of houses. Correct me if im wrong.

7. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

$378K, Previously rented for$390 per week

Rates $784 per quarter
    Water & sewerage $345 per quarter
    Body corporate levies $1,143 per quarter
    not a good investment if don't have much CG!

8. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

Really? From the map it looks bad.

9. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

I used to live in Surfers, I was there when Brisbane got the big flood in 2011... They said on the TV a few times the Gold Coast was flood proof due to the new dam wall at Hinze I think. Not sure how true it is.

10. Pash81

Pash81 Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on coomera?

11. Yujin

Yujin Active Member

From talking to locals the flood map is quite exaggerated, a colleague of mine lives at Palm Beach and he says there are large parts that were not affected but the Gold Coast mapping shows it as at risk of flooding. I believe the maps show the floods as the worst case scenario + a bit extra to protect the council. It would be more helpful if they showed where the 2011 floods came up to.

12. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

No houses flooded in the 2011 floods.....you find the roads around the hinterland ( mudgereeba etc) can get flooded and I think up at helensvale and coomera but I believe the canals work pretty well to stop us flooding.

Last edited: 11th Mar, 2016
  13. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

My house I was renting at the time got flooded about 8 years ago, so yes it can happen. Friends houses on the canals were about very close from going under if the rain hadn't stopped. So would not say the GC is flood proof. It doesn't have the Brisbane river which caused 2011, and it just has had a "dry" run for a long time.

Might want to read up on global warming estimates and the Gold Coast. Studies are showing it would be one of the worst areas affected, yet GCCC head in the sand with actually doing anything about it.

14. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

Where were you living @gman65 to flood? I think it is very rare to happen.....I know areas do flood but I have not heard of peoples houses flooding in the 8 years I have been here. The tweed floods but thats not really GC :)

15. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

I was in Southport at the time. Must have been the 2005 floods, where there was 300mm+ in 24hrs. So a bit longer than 8 years. Was pretty widespread. While Tweed area got hit the worse, they evacuated Pac Fair and all.

Flooding forces Gold Coast airport closure

Memories...

Reader Pics - Galleries - smh.com.au

I remember so many of the roads were blocked, was hard to get anywhere, some people got boxed in. People driving through flood waters, getting stuck. Then the next one going through, getting stuck too.

Australian Weather News -- 30 JUN 2005

Last edited: 12th Mar, 2016
    Mel_C likes this.
  16. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

There you go....oh yeah some of the roads are really bad here after a bit of heavy rain they flood quickly. Those pictures of Arundal are crazy. As I thought the Tweed is where most flooding occurs. I guess you have to be careful if you live near any creek or river. With the world warming up you cant really predict what will happen in future.

17. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

Another problem is if the house is said with flood risk, how abut the insurance fees even it's actually not that bad?

18. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Depends on degree of risk, it comes down to assessment of individual properties.
    There is a big difference between water running down the street or through the front yard and having a property which could get totally submerged.
    Best to get a few insurance quotes on potential purchases first after looking carefully at flood maps.
    In the BCC area you can get a Property Flood Wise report, not sure if the GCCC has something similar.

19. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

Yes, Brisbane council has flood report but didn't find similar one for GC.