QLD Gold Coast 2022

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Piston_Broke, 1st Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

So what issues there be living with a canal in the back yard?

3L week of Aeroguard?
    Skoolies arriving by inflatable mattress to jump in the pool?
    Friends making excuses not to leave?
    Double Insurance?
    Council levies for sea rising fund?
    Shark ate the dog?
    Fish with 3 eyes?

Ben Peasley, djjk and gman65 like this.
  2. xactly

xactly Well-Known Member

Depends on where you buy but definitely outdoors can be unusable for midges and sandflys,
    Talle creek, and Currumbin river mostly

They have a lack of privacy in some smaller canals, everyone wants to see straight to the water, Big windows, so you look straight into the neighbours who are doing the same thing.

Some canals are bigger though so the water stretch is longer. That’s why some canals are more sought after than others

They are NOISY, sound skips straight over water, especially if the canals are busy waterways.

Flooding obviously.

Your electronics will need to be replaced more regularly. The salt water supersaturates the air and corrosion happens twice as fast. Buy cheap fridges and TVs

djjk, Stoffo and Piston_Broke like this.
  3. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

I think canais are a long term mistake, but buying close to the improved infrastructure makes sense in a city that is reaching critical mass.

Lots of nice places just outside the expensive ones. Great to retire to.

Personal opinion only.

Piston_Broke likes this.
  4. Piston_Broke

Thanks for the insight.

Oops didn't mention I was thinking Mermaid Water, Burleigh, Robina and maybe a bit further south after reading posts by @Bazza and @Player

I'm also assuming that the further inland the more insects, and that flowing water is a good thing.

5. boganfromlogan

Check with the council where they spray insects, will give a good indication. Sand flies .... near sand!!. Mossies near water.

Many places near coast are tidal, so not quite sure how flowing water fits in.

Breezy places are often free from bitey things. Inland elevated always seems good. Bonogin is great.

Burleigh, elevated might be good.

Piston_Broke likes this.
  6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I guess I'll find out soon enough. Will be moving to a canal home in Burleigh Waters this year.

Tealey1, datto, Travelbug and 3 others like this.
  7. boganfromlogan

Might not last the day!

High tide caused issues today

gman65 likes this.
  8. skyfall

skyfall Well-Known Member

Dunlin drive has a real mix of properties. Good spot though, you'll probably get your groceries from Stocklands or Treetops.

9. Piston_Broke

On the river water flows, at the end of a small canal away from the river it may be more like a dam.

And I found some more iterestig tidbits on the GC canals
    “Get Off My Water!”

"adjacent waterways and foreshore areas below the high tide mark are public areas, open to access and use by members of the public."

The water around a pontoon/jetty may also public space.

boganfromlogan likes this.
  10. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

Rents are going crazy on the Goldie atm. And the amount of people looking for a place to rent is beyond anything I've seen.

boganfromlogan likes this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, Much prefer beach with views than canals. Just me

12. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Nope, me too.

Love seating on our front balcony looking at Surfers on one side and Snapper Rocks on the other.

Never thought big mamma would let me into heaven but I have snuck in :p.

13. boganfromlogan

Yep.

If you have a really really really REALLY big **** much bigger than the Joneses next door, you will need an entire canal for the pontoon to hold Ur REALLY big **** for all the world to see.

Otherwise beachside from an elevated spot seems ideal.

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Our friends sold canal property after 12 months, noise, no privacy

djjk and Piston_Broke like this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Sunshine Beach is amazing;)

16. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Nah, I much prefer Southern GC anytime

Observer and Stoffo like this.
  17. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

This is the thread I should have posted in rather than the thread I started about Gold coast waterfront.

Looks like a few people are looking at options on the GC.

I’m in the early staging of consideration and looking at options but I’m actually leaning towards the more open canal areas rather than ocean front. Some stunning homes along the GC water ways and I love the idea of a home with the water literally within touching distance of your yard. plus I’m not much of a swimmer. The idea of a jet ski or a modest sized boat is more appealing. That way I can compare the size of my modest boat to my neighbours. :D

@boganfromlogan and @xactly had some good input across in the other thread.

From early research I actually like the idea of paradise waters and the water ways around surfers paradise. Some impressive homes with reasonably open waterfront options. Thing is I want to be fairly close to food and entertainment but also avoid the noise and party crowds that come with being near the heart of surfers.

Also some nice options a little further into the canals around bundall and benowa in spots where the canal opens up a little. Similar offerings in Broadbeach waters but @xactly mentioned that Broadbeach attracts some colourful characters. I don’t want to live next door to colourful. Prefer bland neighbours.

Sackie, Piston_Broke and Travelbug like this.
  18. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

ALT likes this.
  19. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Everywhere is basically flood prone, @Piston_Broke . We are on a fairly wide (natural) waterway, not a canal. Every time this time of year the rains swell our waterway and pontoon jack knives on the big king tides in Jan and Feb. Having said that, our house is (very) low-set and I imaging we would flood from the street before we ever flooded from the water way. So, even dry blocks will flood if it's going to happen. We've been up here 11 years and so far, so good. The natural waterways have less insect life and midges as there is more flow. So anything on on just off main river has tidal flow and natural waters off main river like Little Tallebudgerra creek is the same. Canals are dug off these. Some canals are wide however some (especially in Broadbeach Waters) are very narrow and often scummy towards the end (bowl) of the canal. Midges are most active at dawn and dusk.

We are in Mermaid Waters, chosen for amenity and walkability. Wide water, with Mermaid Beach 10 min walk and Pacific Fair is our local milk bar, six or seven minutes walk. Depends on what you want and value. The closer to the beach you are from Surfers Paradise all the way through to Burleigh Waters, the older the streetscapes. Things get nicer due to newer subdivisions west of Rio Vista Boulevard and adjacent to Bermuda Street. You won't be walking to the ocean or too many cafes though.

@Big A I saw your other thread but will answer you here. Six Mill will give you plenty of options. Sovereign Islands whilst beautiful is not near anything as far as the food, cafes and entertainment that Broadbeach Waters or Mermaid Waters or Chevron Island or Isle of Capri would have. Also, whilst you may not surf, or necessarily want to go into the ocean, if you ever wish to visit the ocean and walk on the sand or the boardwalk paths, you are nowhere near it at the northern end. Nearby Paradise Point and Hope Island and Sanctuary Cove are not walkable from Sov Island even though they have restaurants and cafes. Paradise Waters which you mention is very, very nice. It's Toorak. Still close to Surfers but not too close and also close to main beach and especially Marina Mirage and Mariners Cove. I would look there or else the river streets (Amalfi, Gibralter, Naples or The Promenade) on the Isle of Capri. You are in the middle of everything. Great location with Via Roma shops and (very good) restaurants nearby. Harris Farms recently opened there.

I wouldn't rush. Come visit and drive around. If you could rent that would be a better idea to test where you park that amount of money. My feeling (and not advice) is that Gold Coast still has a way to go with appreciation albeit, not the mad frenzy of last year. Understand this though, this place has it's cycles and if you ever change your mind or need to liquidate at the wrong time due to need for freeing capital, it is this higher end that will get hit first. I doubt the middle end will be hit as hard. Now I could be wrong, and the demand just continues as people move here. There are over 50 cranes in the sky on the Gold Coast with projects coming online every day. I can't imaging apartments won't suffer in three or four years time especially the lower/mid end where they have built too many (900K to 1.5Mill). Chinese are already pulling out of the new nearly complete Star development so we'll see how that settles. The apartments which I think will hold their own are the better quality residential buildings where people have downsized and down shifted from a home both size wise and price wise. In the 2-3 Mill price-point with three bedrooms. No holiday letting. I believe these will still have demand from that demographic as they aren't price sensitive and are sky homes, with one or two per floor.

Hasten slowly. There's no rush. You don't want to be committing and then changing your mind in the price-point you are looking.

Hope this helps.

20. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Wow, much appreciated. Some great information and lots to consider / think about. Once I process a little more I might hit you up with some more questions or thoughts if you don’t mind. Some one like yourself who is on the ground is able to give the best perspective.

Thank you

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia