Education & Work Going To University is a Waste of Time??

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 13th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I've given up drinking on days ending in 'y'.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow ;)

MTR likes this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I cringe when I see parents trying to drive their children to become some sort of academic giant when they clearly are not. Trying to live their lives through their children. Feel sorry for the kids, bound to fail.

I adopted the same philosophy as you, as long as my children are happy they can do whatever they like. I have 20 yo and 25 yo, both ended up at Uni, their choice. Most important thing is they are nice people and I am truly blessed, I know cliché but money can't buy this one.:)

wylie likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Hubby was with one employer (council) for nearly 30 years, knew his subject backwards, kept getting dumped with extra work until finally he was handed the files of someone else who resigned. So he was doing two+ jobs. Most of our early days he loved his work, but it just got harder and harder as they just didn't replace anyone who left.

They filled his job and that person refused to do the workload (justifiably too I think) and left the job. Next person - same story. Finally they realised one person doing two+ jobs was not feasible and hired two people. They probably also reapplied at that time what they'd lost by refusing to lessen the stupid burden they placed on a man who should have (but didn't) say "no". They lost a loyal, long term employee with 30 years of knowledge. Their loss.

Meanwhile we are managing to live on the fruits of the hard work we did in our early days. Living off rent.

MTR likes this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I encouraged our 3 to go to uni and get those bits of paper. However all were good students and not pushed to go.

Having left school aged 15 (as most girls did in the 1950s) I continually found employment opportunities limited as I did not have the paperwork even though I could do the job easily.

Our children have done well in their chosen fields, and for all of them a degree was necessary.
    Marg

MTR likes this.
  5. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Happening in the APS with many people with extensive corporate knowledge moving on and not being replaced. If someone did my work for a week, then they will realise that public servants are not lazy or take 10 coffee breaks every day!

Joynz likes this.
  6. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Uni for me in the mid 90's was a waste... I did a year of Information Science which was teaching outdated technology and I had no real interest in programming.

Exited after year 1 and then did a Diploma of IT (2 years full time) at TAFE which was a much better course for my interests (networks, servers, infrastructure). Finished that and during final weeks had a job lined up, moved to Sydney and started at Microsoft in their infrastructure support team.

So really you do the training that suits your interests and career path, not what is expected of you by family/peers etc.

MTR likes this.
  7. Miss_D

Miss_D Well-Known Member

Im the same as dave, but i quit uni with 4 subjects to go off my IT degree. I hated the programming. I couldnt even get a job in IT because i had no expereince. Went and did customer service jobs, and got some real life expereince and 5 yrs later i finished the degree and a few changes in course subjects was great. With out the degree i wouldnt be on the $'s i am on today and in IT. Being degree qualified in my job atm verse non degree equated about 15 k a year difference. I learnt more on the job for IT then i did for uni, however doing networking in my first year chem degree at uni made me realise i had a passion for IT.

though if i were to do it all again, i would of swapped into the tafe diploma as well like davem did. My exes all discouraged me from working in IT as they were IT trained and didnt want their partner working in the same field as them!

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

A real mixed bag here, we form our opinions from our experience and success/failures in life.

If I could go back in time I would have attended Uni and fulfil my dream to become a primary school teacher.

MTR:)

mrdobalina and DaveM like this.
  9. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

I'm probably one of those parents who will encourage our kids to go to uni. I think 3-4 years of study is a good backup as a trade-off to rushing out into the workforce.

10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Sorry.

unnamed.jpg

MTR likes this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

lol, I used on too some time ago now, one of my favourites...

what about you? an avatar ?

12. Scott No Mates

[​IMG]

This one suits

MTR likes this.
  13. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

What's stopping you from fulfilling your dream?

S.T and Kesse like this.
  14. Scott No Mates

Someone stole @MTR's De Lorean

MTR likes this.
  15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

You have disillusioned me. All this time I thought that you spent countless hours drawing avatars on your computer, and now I find you were just googling...

MTR likes this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

are you kidding, I admitted to being technically challenged...lol

17. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yep...know this type of story well.....