Travel & Holidays Going to Indo - where to go that's not Kuta?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Jess Peletier, 22nd May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Hi all, hoping to hear some ideas from some more seasoned travelers please!

We're going to Bali at Christmas time and have about a week where we'd like to get out of bogan-land and explore the 'real' Bali for a few days. The kids are coming too (youngest is 8) so would appreciate any suggestions of places to see and fun things to do that's not the usual touristy stuff. Main criteria is clean accomodation, somewhere to swim as it's going to be hot, food that won't make you sick and ability to have a few adventures.

Ideas?

2. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Ubud. Seminyak. Nusa Lembonghan.

tvadera likes this.
  3. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Hi Jess; try Ubud.

Ubud has jumped into the Top-10 destinations for travel world-wide, and Asia; respectively. Actually; it is Top-3 for Asia now. About 40 mins drive north of the airport.

It is refreshingly more "upscale" in terms of traveller demographic - lots of bushwalking, cashed-up, professional types from all over the world are there; no bogans to be found really...lots of good shopping, "wellness", restaurants and general sight-seeing.

And if I am allowed; and this post doesn't get deleted for a blatant plug (or; I am happy to pay the Business Member fee for the plug and future shameless advertising); we are in the process of constructing a 5 Villa Hotel/Accommodation - expected opening in about August or September this year;

11 on Kajeng

It will have two Villas with private pools, and 3 Villas which share a main pool, a cafe, and 5 mins walk to both terraced ricefield walks, or shopping and restaurants.

It will be pretty much a couples retreat/hotel; not geared up for kids, or $50 per night footy trips and bachelors' weekends etc..

Last edited: 22nd May, 2016
  4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

We climbed a small 'mountain' in Bali years ago. Can't remember the name, but was inland by a lake from memory. Took one of those mini buses to get there, next to chickens and stayed at a little guest house.

Got invited for tea by some locals so visited their house. Actually this sort of describes most of my trip around Bali, Java, Sumatra and a number of Asian countries!

Bayview likes this.
  5. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Ive struck Bali off my list after a week in Kuta. Maybe I should give it another go?

6. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

We have a few favourite spots (and have kids similar ages to yours). We usually spend a few days at Swissbel Resort Watu Jimbar (approve 95 per nt AUD) in Sanur- if anything just for the pool and because it is cheap.
    Then we head to Seminyak for the food, our favourite spot here with the kids is Courtyard Marriott Seminyak (approx $165 per nt) . We don't do Ubud because we found it boring and it takes a while to drive there. We are beach/pool people not jungle. Over the years we have come to the realisation that we prefer resorts over villas for the simple fact that resorts have pool bars, big pools and we can order food and drinks by the pool, eat in the hotel restaurants if the kids are tired etc. We go to Waterbom (water park) once most trips and it is well worth the money.

7. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

I don't know if I would do Ubud with kids but if the youngest is 8 it might be ok. My kids would probably find it a bit boring but they are under 10.
    We love Bali and go frequently. Our to do list looks like this;
    Staying in Villas with a pool in Seminyak. Lots of great restaurants and shopping. We go to one of the bars for Sunset cocktails. The kids enjoy bartering with the sellers on the beach from the grassed area of either Ku De Ta or Potato Head. We make a visit to the Water Bom Park for some water slide action. We hire a local babysitter from Bali Best Nanny who are excellent and hubby and I go out for 2 dinners. meriahputi (probably incorrectly spelt) and another night at Sardine. Both excellent food. The kids are usually busy making origami with the babysitter while we are out.
    We then head up to Bingin in Ulawatu. Think old style Bali Surf village. We stay in a Villa with a Pool there too. Plenty of Organic style food nearby. We take the kids to Padang Padang beach, Bingin Beach, Fins Beach Club.
    It's generally a relaxing holiday hanging out together as a family. We've done temples and Barong Dances before but kids are really not into it that much. They gain much more culture interacting with the locals and asking them questions. We love it as we get to spend quality time together as a family in beautiful weather.

Bayview likes this.
  8. Special order

Special order Well-Known Member

If you have some money stay at hotel W in Seminyak ...you can get the staff to keep an eye on the kids while you eat at Movida and party at potato head next door. Also Nusa Dua isn't to bad and Hotel komune at Keramas would be a good pick if your partner surfs.

9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Go to Bali to pay Sydney prices for a beer :p no Bintang wtfo_O lol

Ubud is cool. Get up at sunrise and get to the markets, really cool out with the locals buying produce for the day then by 10 its filled tourist

I'd go back if i got a cheap deal. It's nice but a long way to go for cheap singlets!:D just need to get away from the aussie regulars that go there

10. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

o_O
    I can picture you now with Bintang in hand and matching shirt soaking up the markets in Ubud o_O

We got $179 over and FF points home for 5 of us. Cheaper than eating at home with a fantastic holiday thrown in. ;)

Below is a Bingin pic. Not one of mine but you get the idea.

Attached Files:

Bayview likes this.
  11. Sonamic

PC best price boss? :p

Jess Peletier and bob shovel like this.
  12. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

No matching shirt but yes to breakfast Bintang!

13. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

Ha ha! Gotcha! ;)

14. Brad Goodwill

Brad Goodwill Member

I loved Nusa Lembongan.
    Not as hectic as mainland Bali.

Bayview and Magnet like this.
  15. Sonamic

Spot the Aussie in a Bintang singlet. Bogan uniform. :p

Bayview likes this.
  16. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

Seminyak is even more exy than syd trying to be all fancy. Sri lanka is the new bali...

17. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Aleesha Villas in Sanur or Club Med in Nusa Dua is where we stay.

Ubud is probably more the 'real' Bali but dunno how the kids would like it. My kids are pretty happy with food and a pool though :p

Bayview likes this.
  18. Iamnumber5

Iamnumber5 Well-Known Member

I like how you say "going to Indo", sounds like the local :). I take it that this is not your first visit to Bali.
    There are so many great resorts you can choose from which ever area you choose to stay. Nusa Dua is where most of the five star hotels gather, and is becoming very exclusive. A lot of international summit meeting are held in this area. So if you have deep pocket, it's not a bad place to stay. I personally like to stay in Seminyak, less crowded than Kuta, but still have many great shops, restaurants and close to beach....(I lie, I stay there because I always get great discount and occasionally free stay).

If you like rice field and jungle living, Ubud is the perfect place. I think that is the real authentic Bali. Monkey Forrest is also worth a visit.

19. Bayview

I've been to Bali 3 times now; my wife 4 times. Our last visit was to see her sister and the progress of the Project over the Anzac Day weekend.

We've been to Kuta, and Seminyak, etc and all these places are nice in different ways. Kuta is more yer hustle and bustle party area for the younger and teenage, plus the families.

Everywhere in Bali is busy; even Ubud, but the vibe is different there; more mountainous and rain forest type geography, not as close to the beaches and not the same wilder night-life.

Magnet likes this.
  20. Bayview

Yes; we have been discussing room tariffs; what to charge, when to charge premium price and so on, and for sure we will be wanting heads on beds in the early stages.

There are a decent number of similar higher-end places all around where 11OK is, and they are getting upwards of $300 per night, and many are booked out for weeks and even months.

But; there will definitely be an incentive for PC dudes to go there, and we are going to be offering a transfer service to and from the airport to the Hotel. (still not sure what to class ourselves as?)

More info about price as it comes to hand.

(Hope I haven't hi-jacked this thread - if is allowed by the Mods I can start a new one for this).

Sonamic likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia