VIC Going in circles, not sure where to buy

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Gu42, 31st Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Gu42

Gu42 Active Member

I've been looking for an investment property for about 2 months, i've looked at / around Frankston, Mooralbark, Oakleigh, Sunshine and Narre warren.

I cant find any where that seems like the right suburb to start focusing on.

Where can I find 20-30 year suburb median price history data? I can only find upto 12 months.

I'm looking at spending $550,000, maybe a little more for the right property and keeping it long term. I'm planning on keeping it negatively geared, just focusing on capital gains.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

What will 20 year price data tell you?

Rich2011 likes this.
  3. Gu42

Gu42 Active Member

Im hoping to see how houses vs units have performed at differant distances from the cbd.

For example, how have house prices in frankston changed compared to units in oakleigh.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Go to the local history section of the library? :rolleyes:

The internet wasn't around 20 years ago with the abundance of online information. You have to look at investment magazines.

Prices were compared as averages, median is a more recent measure.

Needless to say, all of the areas that you are interested were significantly cheaper 20-30 years ago and you should have brought back then and there was nowhere near the numbers of dwellings to compare.

Some of these areas are recent subdivisions & developments, so historical sales are not comparable.

Frankston isn't going to be regentrified so that growth won't be repeated anytime soon.

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

6. Gu42

Gu42 Active Member

Thanks, that should help

7. The Y-man

I used to do this a lot - in the end, I almost got analysis paralysis/ info overload.

What I ended up doing much more successfully was look at basic market factors - who's buying where, why, and what's not hot right now (but most likely will be later).

I find in Melb (and prob many other places), demographics is a huge driver, so the abs census stuff is really useful.

Frankston, Mooralbark, Oakleigh, Sunshine and Narre warren are vastly different markets.

My (apparently unconventional) advice is: start with somewhere you would like to live in yourself.
    Unless you are not an outlier bizarre person, you probably have the similar tastes to 90% of the population. So start there. Where would you like to live AS A RENTER *not* from a "lovely place" point of view but from a bottom up functional/practical point of view ~ how easy is it to get to work? ~ noisy? ~ easy to clean/maintain (you know, pesky landlords etc)

The Y-man

korando1234, SuperWoman and wilso8948 like this.
  8. Gu42

Gu42 Active Member

Makes sense, how has your approach to finding investment properties worked out for you?

9. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

@Gu42 Pricefinder does 25/26 yrs

10. rook2017

rook2017 Well-Known Member

Frankston or Sunshine

11. The Y-man

Very well overall. I don't think there are any super-duds that are or has been in the mix. The 1BR in Prahran probably the closest to that (bought for $150k in 2001~ish and currently worth $380k~ish)

The Y-man

12. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

20 years ago the USA was giving aid to China, now they are at trade war. 20 years ago the biggest migrant body was from UK, now Asia. I think go back to the fundamentals what draw people to a suburb, according to those listed, families. If there are good schools, shopping and health infrastructure, easy access to public transport, it will grow some time, some how. If it attracts rich migrants, like Glen Waverley, wow, the rest is history.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia