Going Green - the sustainable investment property thread

Discussion in 'Development' started by theperthurbanist, 5th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Biggbird

Biggbird Well-Known Member

Interesting, nice to have some figures to back it up! Some of that is more or less what I was thinking - the sustainability and community focus offers a point of difference between your standard apartment block and is something which really appeals to a reasonably big section of the market. And one would only expect that section of the market to grow as people become more climate aware, more young people move into the age where they're looking for housing. Does look like that block in the picture has quite a bit of parking though, so a slightly different take on the idea I guess.

Yeah I definitely get what you mean about the Nightingale model restricting growth and therefore placing something of a ceiling on those apartments' value as an investment. They also recommend that you never raise your rent higher than 5% of the original purchase price per annum to maintain affordability. A great idea and very socially responsible, but not the best if money is the main motivator.

The Commons seems to have a different policy given the 1 apartment which was sold in Brunswick. They're building another Commons in Hobart, which is why the sudden interest from me. Had never heard of these types of blocks before, but it's definitely a very cool idea!

theperthurbanist likes this.
  2. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member

Bank Australia and Victoria's Residential Efficiency Scorecard have announced that your home's Scorecard rating can be used in Bank Australia’s newly released Clean Energy Home Loans, giving customers access to a loan discount when renovating, buying or building homes.

The Scorecard is an Australian-first home energy rating program that provides a star rating and easy-to-understand certificate of how a home copes with hot and cold weather and how to improve performance. The Scorecard covers new and existing homes and can help guide renovation choices, ultimately helping householders save money on energy bills and be more comfortable in their home in hot and cold weather.

This is good news for Victorians who already have a Scorecard assessment. You can immediately seek these new finance products, offering 0.4% discount on the current home loan.

Westminster likes this.
  3. theperthurbanist

4. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

5. theperthurbanist

6. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

7. theperthurbanist

Great initiative by CoB. I really hope people use the system (properly).

I’m a bit confused though - if it’s a three bin system and two are organic waste, I assume at least one has to be non-organic, non-recyclable waste; so does that mean they don’t have recycling in Bassendean?

If I recall correctly most LGAs have to move to a three bin system (waste, recycling and organics ) within the next couple of years.

8. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

*TOB
    It’s a three bin system. A new small Red lid bin for non-organic and non-recyclable that gets emptied once a fortnight. You were given the option to pay extra and keep the old larger bin if you wanted a bigger bin. Most people weren’t aware you could actually keep your old weekly bin and use it for whatever you wanted if you got the new smaller red lid bin. The green lid bin for FOGO and all organic waste that gets collected weekly as it should contain the stinky stuff. Then recycling gets picked up every alternative week.
    Yes that’s correct, all councils will move to FOGO in the next couple of years. TOB were partly funded for the new bins, FOGO bins and biodegradable bags since they did it first.

Last edited: 11th Oct, 2020
  9. theperthurbanist

10. theperthurbanist

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia