Going from housing to commercial property investment, how much capital is needed?

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by jai collier, 22nd Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Only where legislation doesn't prevent it eg retail leases or on gross leases or where not all outgoings are recoverable.

The Y-man and Beano like this.
  2. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

It takes a long time to make a few million return each year .
    It took me 27 years to make a few millions each year and then you have to pay a million in tax.

27269, spoon, kmrr and 4 others like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

I dream of only having to pay a million in tax. :rolleyes:

4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Didn’t know that. Another plus. Poor tenant pays for everything lol. Maybe all the outgoings are factored into the per sq metre rate.

Cousinit likes this.
  5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

In fines and penalties ? :eek:

6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I heard mechanical workshops especially truck mechanics, truck washes etc are in lookout for properties to rent and command a higher return.

I heard landlords don’t like these truck businesses for various reasons eg the trucks annoy surrounding businesses, there are limits on how long the trucks can park in the street, they’re noisy, dirty and some tenants have links to OMCG.

jai collier likes this.
  7. jai collier

jai collier Well-Known Member

yes very true mate, if it becomes vacant you could basically go bankrupt

8. Scott No Mates

Not when you already have 30%+ equity.

Cousinit and jai collier like this.
  9. jai collier

yeah awesome work mate, was this in commercial property that you have started making these returns?
    Maybe making that sort of equity is much longer than i thought

10. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

The
    With commercial I have always had tennants over 30 years. Leases are usually 3-5 years, extended and paid for 12 months in advance . Vacancy is a non issue plenty of buisiness's wanting to expand and aquire quality locations. Had nil vacancies but constantly had people tell me they would be intrested in taking on the lease. The problem with commercial is satisfying lending requirements, high deposit needed and difficulty acessing equity. A million dollars equity in residential might get you 800k, with direct comercial might get you 400k or perhaps nothing. At least with an REIT you dont have to sell everything to take advantage of other oportunities but you can , and even buy back in at like 25% discounts reduce cost base and taxation levels.

Rentvester and jai collier like this.
  11. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You can start small, maybe a unit in a factory complex?

Friend bought a 150sqm unit in a complex, $350K off the plan about 4 years ago. First stage sold out quickly, second stage released with prices $100K higher, again sold out. Projected settlement August, 2019.

Bumpy ride, decision to build both stages at once, delays, first developer went bankrupt, no action for 9 months, project bought by another builder, covid, lockdowns (Melbourne). Finally handed over just before Christmas 2021.

Resales of his size unit mid-$500s. He is using it for his business so no idea of rentals, but all units in complex occupied.

jai collier likes this.
  12. jai collier

Yeah i see so you need a lot of equity to get into it yourself, i heard you can put 30-50% down? Is there a lot more involved to that,

Maybe investing in trusts that buy commercial property could be a better option & safer?

13. Scott No Mates

Safety / lower risk comes from diversification - most trust are invested across numerous assets, different expiry dates etc.

The alternative is multi-tenanted building.

The Y-man and jai collier like this.
  14. jai collier

yeah thats good to hear i do see alot of commercial property for around that price, great returns in the end

Marg4000 likes this.
  15. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

You can - but you have less control.

This is because it needs the majority of unit holders to vote to sell.
    Nevertheless, some CPTS have "liquidity events" where you can sell back your units to the manager.

The example I gave above is a bit convoluted, as it started with 3 properties and sold 2:
    Cromwell Property Trust 12 - Cromwell Property Group Australia

But maybe using CH DOF
    Investor Centre

I bought into DOF in 2014 paying 72 cents per unit.
    At the time the yield was 7% per annum (or thereabouts) - so we got 5 cents per unit (paid quarterly)

So if you put $72k in, you would earn $5k per year in rent. The income would be tax deferred in some components due to depreciation etc so it is not acutally 100% taxable in most cases.

Come to today and the underlying properties have shot up in value.
    The unit prices are calculated using the total banks valuations of the properties divided by the number of units on issue - so no different to your example of holding a $2m prop that goes to $4m.

Today, the DOF units I paid 72 cents for are worth $1.57

Charter Hall have a liquidity event every 5 years so I could sell my holdings realising a 75 cents per unit profit (less CGT of course).

The Y-man

27269, arj48, datto and 1 other person like this.
  16. The Y-man

Yep - and many CPT/REITS will have portfolio of properties - so you "unit" may be spread across office towers, warehouses, shopping centres in different cities. That means you also potentially have hundreds of different tenants, so it would be very rare to have a complete vacancy.

The biggest downside is you don't get a say in which properties are bought/sold etc - as you would likely be a minority unitholder.

The Y-man

Rentvester, datto and jai collier like this.
  17. jai collier

Well great information all the safer way to invest in commercial real estate is through trusts, as for purchasing bigger commercial property on your own you need to have some good capital yourself it seems, like over the 1.5m mark.

i reckon i will stick to developing/ renovating houses to rent for now my first development has been great so maybe in my 30’s look at getting into commercial if my portfolio continues to grow well.

thanks all for the advice new to this forum and im so glad i have come across it, get information from investors that are much more ahead and knowledgeable

Cousinit and The Y-man like this.
  18. The Y-man

You can do both too ;)

The minimum investment into listed reits is $500 + brokerage, and unlisted varies but usually $20,000

The Y-man

jai collier likes this.
  19. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Not bad gains there!

I wonder if you can use the units as security for a loan? Or do you need to sell them which may trigger CGT?

See if you own a commercial property on your own, then you have more control and can access equity without triggering CGT.

The Y-man, Cousinit and jai collier like this.
  20. Scott No Mates

Those don't count.

datto likes this.