Gobsmacked!

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by TAJ, 22nd Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

My business partner and I have just returned from an inspection of a holiday rental property that we regularly service (4 times a year, doing carpet clean and freshen up) after being contacted by the local managing agent.
    Internally the place has been left putrid, with faeces being wiped on walls, food scraps strewn throughout the house, bong on the kitchen bench, severe staining of carpeted areas.
    Apparently this property was let to a family, Mum, Dad and 3 kids, for 5 days. They departed yesterday. We phoned the Agent who came down immediately as we were gobsmacked that a property could be left in such a state. She has informed us that they paid in cash.

Big dollars to clean this mess up. Feel so sorry for the owners.
    Awaiting to get the go ahead now from the owners. Hope they can track these disgusting renters down.

2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

At least the Agent would have the rego number that was employed to let the property out in first place and has a solid landlord insurance in place..Just another bump in the real estate world..
    Plus by the sounds of this,maybe new carpets-paint-the title holder depending on the excesses in place may be better off ..

3. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

After a further phone call from the Managing Agent it seems the owner of the property wishes for it to become a Police matter. Hopefully they will be able to track the culprits down either through a rego check or possibly if they used a C/Card to make the initial booking.
    What is unusual though is that the Agent said they seemed like a nice family. It seriously is a disgusting mess.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

which specifically covers short term furnished holiday rentals....

The Y-man

willair likes this.
  5. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

I am interested to know what the assessor from the Insurance company has to say about this one.

6. Michelle Evans

Michelle Evans Well-Known Member

I hate to be a dark cloud, but I'm yet to find an insurance company that covers cleaning and rubbish. So unless there's actual damage, there might be no luck for the owner this time, beyond that, getting police out to such matters is like pulling teeth! They often see it as a civil matter unless of course there's significant malicious damage (for example, the last one I was able to get police out to had knife / stab marks in walls and doors... fun times) Good luck to the owners!

Marg4000 likes this.
  7. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

I suspect you may be right in regard to the Police becoming involved; unless they are concerned about the drug paraphernalia. The Agent said she would call me tomorrow with an update.

8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Police will say it is a civil matter.
    Many LL policies won’t cover cleaning or rubbish removal.
    Marg

9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

From my experience with insurance companies with floods or tenant damage they seem start with disclaiming responsibility with a legal position then ask for a copy of the lease..Just hope the insurance contract cover for this type of damage is in the fine print..

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia