Goals for 2017

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Sackie, 29th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I started a few months ago... if I sell, I sell the lot. So it doesn't have to be complex? Though you also have to deduct the fees from Acorn too. Edit: Acorns fees are included in the market returns.
    Screenshot_2017-02-01-18-22-04.png Screenshot_2017-02-01-18-29-01.png

Attached Files:

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I think you could be right if you sell them all. You would have to check with an actual tax accountant. Tax accounting always makes my head hurt! :mad:

3. Ran Gus

Ran Gus Well-Known Member

You need to know:

a) how much you bought them for;
    b) how much you sold them for;
    c) whether the entire parcel sold (from the 1st one bought to the last one bought in the parcel you sell) were all held 12+ months to be eligible for the 50% CGT discount.

You also need to declare the dividends/distributions. Keep in mind that these amounts are also reinvested to purchase more units, which will factor into (a) above.

I dropped Acorns after about 2 days, mainly because I couldn't be bothered keeping track of the above information, considering the investment amount with Acorns is likely to be small.

Cactus and Perthguy like this.
  4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Fair enough on point c), that would be a waste of time to track. Think I'd just know what b) minus a) is and simply declare that for taxes. My 6 month return is $32....

Ran Gus likes this.
  5. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

1 month in.

Nailing the personal at the moment. Doing personal training session once a week. Booked in three weekend trips.

As for financial not a lots changed. Started building on two H&L packages. One to keep one to sell. Signed building contract on another H&L to keep. Triplex has moved to advertising. Still need to secure two blocks of land in th Western suburbs for H&L. Been a bit slow on this. Stuff moving too quickly for me.

teetotal, ellejay, JL1 and 2 others like this.
  6. ycdfdyan

ycdfdyan Well-Known Member

After having two babies in the past two and a half years, now it's finally time to think about my goals for 2017. My 2015 and 2016 were full off dirty nappies and sleepless nights :)

Career:
    Finally got my maternity leave extension approved, will be back to work in early April.

Property:
    First JV renovation project
    Paint property #2 as it is quite dated and takes a while to rent it out (it's a student accommodation with 5 rooms).
    Put in a new driveway and carport for property #1. Will turn property #1 into owner occupied when the current lease ends in August. We are currently renting.

Business:
    New website for my hubby's business

Family:
    Few road trips with hubby and two boys
    Big house clean up, donate/throw away any stuffs we haven't touched for years
    Teach my 2.5 yr old how to ride a bike
    Take my two boys to parks more often

Looks like a rather busy but exciting new year and hope everything goes in the right direction :)

Sashatheman likes this.
  7. Bunlee

Bunlee Well-Known Member

Hi all

2017 for me is a year of continuing the journey that I was mapping out last year. Essentially it was the decision to simplify the financial aspects of my life and place less importance on them. The journey is only young but it has well and truly started.

The goal for me is to change my mind-set around money and free my energies towards other life goals. It is hard to change a mind-set that has been with me for some decades. I suppose that this was sourced in early years growing up relatively poor and having a scarcity view of money that, if I was honest, has continued to this day.

In the past (and probably the present, but less so now) much of my emotional, mental and physical energy has been focussed on acquiring assets and 'worrying ' about building up financial independence.

Recent decisions that I have implemented include;

- Contributing a set amount per fortnight to my and spouse's super funds. These funds are highly skewed towards Australian and International Shares in low cost industry funds. largely a set and forget strategy.

- Paying down our Property investment Loan within the limits of the fixed term loan agreement

- As a result of my general approach - now viewing the decision to take overtime as having to fit in with my life and putting some boundaries around that. This is opposed to my previous approach to taking all overtime offered and life fitting in around those decisions.

- Setting realistic fortnightly gross pay targets and once attained - forget about more overtime.

Random thoughts and actions on the surface but all directed to changing an in-grained mindset.

I still believe that energy must be directed at building up a solid financial future for the family but it is all relative and a fresh look at things last year indicated to me that things were going quite o'k and it was time to look more to the present than the future.

Things are moving ahead financially but the focus is to move this more into the background where it fits better at this point in my life.

BTW I enjoy reading other posters more significant financial goals and wish all well in attaining them, more importantly enjoying the journey.

Best to all

OscarBravo likes this.
  8. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

2017 is going to be a big year for me, having worked in the family business for 10 years now my old man has set his retirement for the end of this year which means I will be stepping up to the plate. While I know and have played a roll in running the joint for a while now it is going to be some big shoes to fill, he has been running the show for over 30 years now.

but other then that, having settled our new ppor in nov last year the main goal is to smash as much as possible into our offset and if funds reach that far maybe a sneaky IP purchase towards the end of the year.

paulF likes this.
  9. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

Financial Goals
    A) Increase my passive income by another 10%..from the present low 6 figure mark.
    B) Diversify from individual share investing to passive share investing..Why? Cos i am lazy basically and there are better things to do in life than staring at share screens daily...

Personal Goals
    1) Aim to do one major charity event per year. (anybody keen on an Indian Bollywood party for Sat 18th Feb in Sydney Hills Area? Tickets are $65 per person and i have 20 tickets left..) PM me...should be fun to have a Property chat table haha!

2) Support my darling daughter finish her HSC by making sure she is well fed, driven around and generally cheering and encouraging her all the way!
    Mother and daughter tentatively plan to travel to Japan as a reward to BOTH!

3) Strive to be a better person, wife, mother , friend, daughter, sister by spending more time with these people...

4) Grow spiritually .

Gockie likes this.
  10. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Geez. Talk about taking bite size chunks to review

11. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

12X results! (Trademark);)

12. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

Just came onto this thread, lots of inspiring goals.
    My goals for 2017:

Career:
    Possible promotion, jump in and work hard.

Study:
    Finish 2 projects that are half completed from last year and begin and finish law project (to become a licensed surveyor).

Family:
    Quality time with two young daughters. Let wife have more sleep ins on weekends.

Fitness:
    Swim more with mentone icebergers, brave the winter water without yelping. Stop reading news reports about sharks.

Other:
    Two weeks ago a family member told me i shouldnt try to do a development because there are other people out there that are better at it. Goal - dont listen to naysayers, even family.

13. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

As above, achieved the accumulation phase last year.

But buying property is like crack cocaine. I'm thinking of one more.

Just one more hit? Or stick to the plan?

14. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I think due to the climate, will just consider holding all ips and staying put.

15. Skydome

Skydome Well-Known Member

For me, my main for this year would be to get my one and only IP sold for around 130 so i can buy something in a better area here and take a loan out against that so to achieve two IP's IF all goes according to plan.

Otherwise I'll just try for one IP in a better area.

ellejay likes this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

...but you can hold in blue chip or lower socio areas but performance has more to do with market conditions not which is desirable.

Chris Au likes this.
  17. Luk.bai

Luk.bai Member

Jesus christ

18. Luk.bai

Luk.bai Member

Can you recommend any books for an IP virgin

19. Darren

Darren Well-Known Member

@Luk.bai 2 good books I like are
    The richest man in babylon
    My 4 year old the property investor
    Anything by Margaret Lomas, Steve McKnight
    Try searching books in the search bar there is a post with plenty of suggestions around somewhere

Luk.bai likes this.
  20. Skydome

Skydome Well-Known Member

I've got three areas on my list as potential areas for good capital gains and maybe rental increases but it is quite dependent on me at least getting around 130k.

Otherwise I'll consider setting up a vanguard account and tossing the money into that to hopefully make up the difference in a year or two.

Just wait and see what happens i suppose.

MTR likes this.