Gladys resigns as NSW Premier!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tony3008, 1st Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

I have a feeling Monday could be a bit interesting

kierank likes this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A fair bit of the 'inquisition' sounds more like schoolboy locker room talk - once both parties have acknowledged a relationship, does the commissioner need to go into the gritty details of the relationship? How serious is a relationship before you're game they're introduced to your friends & family?

Even the phone taps on Thursday sounded more like someone keen to get off the phone and blow off the other party than complicit she'll be right.

3. mtat

mtat Well-Known Member

Doesn't that make it even worse? It's all just corruption for personal gain then? (rather than anything to do with 'love')

Libs are corrupt, no way around it.

ollidrac nosaj likes this.
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I think you might find that in NSW at least, Labor is no paragon of virtue either. Corruption is a bipartisan activity, it would seem. And I'd be surprised if the same things don't occur in other states with all parties.

craigc, shorty, Shazz@ and 2 others like this.
  5. mtat

mtat Well-Known Member

"Well Labor aren't any better." "Well I'm sure the same happens in other parties anyway" is not really fair is it. At the moment, most of the corruption and incompetency seems to be surrounding the Liberal party. Why stay loyal to a political party?

Pernoi and ollidrac nosaj like this.
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

You must have slept through the Obeid and McDonald court case and jailing then, or the Wood royal commission, perhaps the Wran magistrate case might ring a bell ... neither is squeaky clean

The long history of political corruption in NSW — and the downfall of MPs, ministers and premiers

I strongly feel she was expertly played - rather than corrupt.

**I have no political affiliation with either party

Shazz@ and geoffw like this.
  7. geoffw

A party in opposition doesn't have anywhere near the same opportunities to advantage themselves as a party in power. There has been corruption in politics since forever, practiced by both parties. Neither party is better than the other. Perhaps the current events in NSW and Victoria (and past events in Queensland) will help to clean up politics.

The current events are just showing the value of an investigative body. We need a federal body with powers to oversee federal politics.

shorty, Baker, Shazz@ and 2 others like this.
  8. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

Why would anyone but a legal mind seeking to destroy a reputation, give parts of a private conversation between two lovers the same credence in a court of law as any other conversation held, to be considered as legal fact years later.
    “Dear Mrs Car Tart, please do not sue me for The Moon and I know I promised I wouldn’t buy any more cars but, it was just so nice!”

YES, She should have disclosed her embarrassing relationship.

Was it criminal, suspect or corrupt?

Only to a die hard anti Liberal who doesn’t want to acknowledge that lovers private discussions can stray into embarrassing areas when judged as factual conversations.

NB. I’m more liberal than Liberal.

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Liberal with the truth :D

datto likes this.
  10. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

When it's serious enough to give rise to a perceived, potential or actual conflict of interest?

Pernoi likes this.
  11. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

lol...a simplistic view.

How about power corrupts & humans are human ?

shorty, Scott No Mates and wylie like this.
  12. dabbler

She was gone from the start.

It is amazing how people like them, think ICAC is sniffing around because they are bored, ICAC is involved as there is already significant evidence & I can assure you, not all of it will be revealed to the public.

I could see straight away, it was a problem that she had a relationship with someone admitting to corruption, because even ms goody two shoes would have been privvy to some matters, it is not the relationship, it is what would have been conveyed once it was clear that one was up to no good.

13. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I got the impression from listening to the tapes that Gladys maybe wanted marriage and children, but I wonder if he did - he came across as a bully and hustler.

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Nov, 2021
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

15. dabbler

What else could you expect, this is why they all act the same, they know they have jobs after.

And maybe it is just me, but if I went for a job & disclosed that I had been at least a little bit sneaky it would seem & was part of corruption investigation, what is the bet the answer for any such job would be a firm No.

But an ex politician, not an issue, put them in charge of finance and big decisions, hell, they may even be able to pull some strings with some "mates".

Although I did not particularly dislike her, I was glad I did not have to suffer all those rubbish waste of time pressers.

16. geoffw

She appears to have done a reasonably good job with Covid. She had a lot of support as a result. But as soon as she went, it was open slather. Then whoops, Covid has got out. Too late.

qak likes this.
  17. dabbler

She played politics with Covid, that is what she did, as did most others. Granted it is not easy to make decisions without hindsight, but she/they love the distraction.

People have to face facts, politicians do not save us, they do not stop viruses, all they can do is smash economies with blunt questionable measures, and, at some point we all had/have to live with it.

Just because a bunch of us are ok with sitting at home or locked away does not mean it was all ok to do what was done and the way it was done, what excuse is there for not being prepared fully after the first signs and steps, too busy having pressers and wasting time.

Last edited by a moderator: 16th Feb, 2022
  18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I like Gladys, think she did a great job and good on her

qak likes this.
  19. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

What a lot of people (not directing at you Lizzy!) dont seem to realise is that people are complicated, and you can also have a complicated opinion about them. I thought Gladys did pretty well in handling the pandemic. I think she was atrocious at doing dodgy deals, not being transparent, and doing heaps of pork barrelling.

It's ok to have conflicting opinions, and we don't need to pigeon-hole someone. Same as with sports and hollywood stars. Sticking them on a pedestal for performance in 1 area does not mean they are awesome human beings. It creates the culture where cancelling someone becomes possible - if someone is never told particular behaviour is ok, things will get to a breaking point. Better to tell someone they are being an idiot early on, than let it get out of hand!

Lizzie likes this.
  20. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Interestingly, finding a replacement for Gladys hasn't been as easy for the Liberals as they might have liked.

'Closest result': NSW government's hold on Berejiklian's former seat remains in doubt

The NSW government's hold on Gladys Berejiklian's former seat of Willoughby remains in doubt as preference counting narrows the gap between its candidate Tim James and independent Larissa Penn.

ABC chief election analyst Antony Green said the race wasn't over.

"Who would have thought that of the four by-elections, Willoughby would turn out to have the closest result?" he said.

"The race is much tighter than we thought on Saturday night."

The count as it stands indicates a less than four-point difference between Mr James (51.9 per cent) and Ms Penn (48.1 per cent).​

Gladys held the seat since 2003 (when she won by a very narrow margin!) and has been largely very popular with her electorate. This is the electorate where I live in and anecdotally, I've always found her very well supported by the people here.

The fact that a relatively unknown independent with a very small budget has managed to secure such a high percentage of the vote should send a stark warning to both the NSW and Federal liberal party!

Funnily enough - Labor would do well to heed that warning too. They didn't bother to run a candidate in the by-election, but I would have been very interested to see how well they would have polled against the Liberal candidate. Ironically, it could be the lack of a Labor candidate that loses the seat for the Liberals - because a genuine independent is seen as a clear preference over any of the other "agenda" parties who ran.

Lizzie and inertia like this.