QLD Gladstone warming up

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by foxyleemoo, 22nd Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. foxyleemoo

foxyleemoo Member

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Warming up for the next lot of hot shot cow boys to get their tushes burnt to the bone.

When you invest in Gladstone you are not investing in the real estate market but in the commodity market. (most who invest there fail to realize this fundamental fact).There may be room for such types of investments for individuals with mature portfolios who can handle the risk AND understand what's happening in the underlying commodity market/cycle etc. For most people, imho its a no go zone.

Me 2 cents.

kierank, JohnPropChat and Brady like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Or for flippers who get in early (ear to the ground stuff, contracts with miners, export/shipping licences,, successful exploration survey reports etc) who buy a few, hold short term with possible reno, lease to construction crew (pre-camp construction), then bail early in the cycle.

bob shovel likes this.
  4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Yep you need to be in the know.
    You can be there on the ground and still be confused AF. it's gossip central but as the negativity increases it would be time to plan the exit but may be to late

Have they actually started building? ? This is another (of many) hair brained schemes. Google shale oil. Another post boom "saviour" that didn't take off.

Come back in 5 years or so for the next boom

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You know when it's time to bail, all the people in the know are talking about it - taxi drivers, newspapers/journos, Propertychat ;)

Ross 355 likes this.
  6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Could be great news for some of the people on PC who have IPs up there as an exit point?

The Y-man

Clayton and foxyleemoo like this.
  7. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Iā€™m sure some of the people who invested in Miserablestone previously would like to share some stories...

8. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

Well said good buddy!...

Comes right down to risk appetite..

Cheers,

9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Have money in shopping centre(s) there ~ one of them was sold by trustees last year for a decent amount.

The Y-man

10. foxyleemoo

foxyleemoo Member

Yes, that will be good for some people who have already felt pain from the last Boom.

11. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I dont agree, is like anywhere but was smashed by mining downturn, like anywhere, if you buy well, in the lull, in a decent spot, it should do ok.......

foxyleemoo likes this.
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

When the average market/suburb has these declines in a 3 year period then you can say its like anywhere. It simply isnt because of the unique risks to the market which most average markets do not have . If you really don't see that then your putting yourself in a very dangerous position imo.

Screenshot_20180922-205529.jpg

13. dabbler

More volatility means more potential.....you will note the location and they still have a population, it is not the sahara desert after a diamond find.,,,,,

Does not scare me,,,,,,,

Your a Bondi or Cap city snob.....but they all use the same green folding stuff...

14. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Whoever has skin in the game and bought in Gladstone would keep drumming it up. However, IMHO there is absolutely no reason why Gladstone would have a sustainable run. No fundamentals.

THE GLADSTONE region's population fell in 2016 for the first time in the past decade. If anything, that place is going backwards.

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  15. dabbler

Ha ha.....your a fool too then, I have bought in many places poo pooed on the forum, but a % gain is the same, vacluse or Broken Hill, but there is also the ability to repay loan now being important.

I do not give a rats where people invest, but at times there is a lot of nonsense or snobbery posted, it shows the shallow mind of many, not that I really care.....it just shows how you must filter things, even on a high level, such as this forum.

I would buy ther for my own reasons, I been watching it slide long before you joined my young jockstrap.....

16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Watch ya mouth dere sista! who yall callin a snobby fool :p

17. dabbler

No one really, just that sometimes it seems a popular opinion is just adopted on this forum by some, but a dollar is a dollar, well if it is an aussie dollar. :)

5 mil invested or made wont matter where as long as result is same.

I do agree that jumping in on something that is a fad, or that everyone else is doing at the time is foolish though, like a RE that was trying to talk me into buying a few OTP for miners after boom was going for a while, all he could see was rent dollars, only thing I said is what happens when the boom ends, the entire argument was he was doing it and did I think he was stupid......I held my tongue. Which is unusual :p

So things have too stack up, but you cant just write everything off either, just because A,B or C on the forum puts what suits them forward as the only or best way.

18. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

I'm not invested there and probably wont as looking at different markets but bang for buck it's up there with any other town in Aus

I guess would need to wait for Rental market to firm a bit but by then your unlikely to pick up the Freestanding house for 150k

Population of 60k , buy in price of $150-200 is extremely low risk I would think.

not one of my favourite places having said that

foxyleemoo likes this.
  19. dabbler

With low rent dollar wise and able to buy prob 3 or more compared to even a single syd unit that gets you 2.5%, you could have them empty for 6 weeks at a time and not sweat it, anf the yield would smash Syd, you can sell when it suits.

Now I am aming some assumptions, and have not looked closely, but I did see some that went for less than what a deposit would be in Syd, it would ebb and flow, but the town will always be there, in a perfect spot too it would seem if you like the reef....

Angel and bob shovel like this.
  20. FredBasset

FredBasset Member

Yes, it is looking great value, but I haven't bought. I was very tempted around 3 months ago. But there isn't a clear peak in the USD or bottom in resources from what I can see.
    I think the current bounce is from Sydney or Melbourne bargain hunters.
    Give it a few years though before they give up for a true bottom.
    The current period reminds me of 1998-2001. Strong USD, many false starts in resources until they were ground into dust, strong tech.
    I think Gladstone could be a great buy in the next downturn though, particularly if it is like 2001. Gladstone, Perth, QLD may do very well next cycle. Bang for buck though, I am going to look at listed mining contractors during the next downturn.