Travel & Holidays Glad I wan't in Hawaii

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 14th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Lol
    Sometimes you get more enjoyment in life when you don’t read things

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Given recent events - and it was an "incoming missile" alarm sent to everyone's phone and broadcast over the media - and 40 minutes before the "oops" was issued - sheesh ... brown trousers time.

To quote Jim Carey - "I was woken (my add: by the alarm) and told I had 10 minutes to live ... "

Last edited: 14th Jan, 2018
    Xenia likes this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me ... but being rural we get these types of alerts sent to our mobile phones, several times a year during bushfire season, and take them very seriously.

I know the sudden fear that can rise when an alert is received - so can only imagine the pure panic felt by the Hawaiian's ... to the point they were hiding their kids down stormwater drains

Last edited: 14th Jan, 2018
    TAJ and wylie like this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

6. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

A mate of mine lives in Honolulu but was on the mainland when it happened. His wife was at home in Honolulu at the time, as was his daughter - they live in different parts of the city. When the warning came through, the daughter called her mum (Facetime, I think). They were both hiding in what they hoped were the safest parts of their respective houses. One day I'll ask Janet about that call and about what she and her daughter said. They were on the phone for a while and missed the second message telling everyone it was all a bit of a mistake.
    Those 40 minutes would make a great movie. Imagine some of the things that would have been said and done by people who thought their time was up. People would have declared unrequited love for co-workers, people would have told their bosses what they really thought of them, expensive bottles of wine would have been opened. I heard one bloke say he was at a breakfast buffet and everybody left in a hurry, so he helped himself to all the best stuff.