Giving $100k to family

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by shouldisell, 18th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. shouldisell

shouldisell Well-Known Member

I used to be interested in money, investing, my future etc etc...

I dabled in managed funds, shares and bought an investment property many years ago.
    (I wasn't very good or successful)

My personal interest fell away and I sold out of my funds/shares, but kept my property. It didn't do much for me either. Or I didn't do much for it perhaps.

Anyway. I have sold it, and will have $100k that I don't want in the next month or two.
    I want to pass it onto my siblings and Neice.

Initially I was just going to transfer it to them, in the hope that it might make for a nice deposit on a house. They currently all rent together (3 of them, and my neice).

I don't know if they plan on staying together moving forward, so thought of splitting it up and giving them some cash each instead.

Now that I nearly have the money, I was thinking of investing it on their behalf. Term deposit rates look pretty sad, and I don't want any involvement once the money is out of my hands.

So I was thinking about putting it into a simple (ethical would be preferred) managed fund. Then encouraging each of them to set up a direct debit into the fund. Might only be $100 a week total, but enough to start some good saving habits and maybe get them interested.
    If they do this for at least a year, it would give them time to figure out what they want to do with the money while any interest earned could go directly to a savings account for my neices future (when and if they take the cash out).

Given my poor track record and lack of interest in anything financial as of late, I thought I should ask some smart folk for advice.

What do you think of my (rudimentary) strategy?
    What would you advise?
    Can you recommend any (ethical) funds?

Many many thanks for any assistance. I really don't have the attention or smarts to make the best decisions with this money. I just know that I would like to help my family out and could use some advice.

Thank you

2 people like this.
  2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

not develop the passion for investing in the relatives , first ??

how about a library ( resource ) of quality books on investing ( in shares , property and bonds , , accounting principles , etc. ) ( could be a shared computer program for efficiency )

using the ' teach them to fish ' philosphy THEN let them decide how to deploy the cash in ... say 2 years time

3. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Timeframe for the sharemarket should be at least 7 to 10 years as you can never be sure when a crash is near.

If you want the cash in a year a high interest savings account is the most reasonable option.

2 people like this.
  4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Best not to give it to them. They might lose it on divorce etc.

You could set up a discretionary trust, maintain control and distribute the income to them, or make interest free loans etc.

4 people like this.