Girl get suspended from school for speaking the truth.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Ace in the Hole, 1st Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Big Red

Big Red Well-Known Member

It is a speech and its from a girl in year 10. Let her have her say and learn from life exp. True I have heard many of my friends tell me when in school all this Trig stuff is rubbish or when am I going to need the Pythagoras theorem. True you may not require everything but like in life you do not know where things will lead to. For example when doing a house extension it is great to have basic skills to work out an area or the height etc. Live to learn :) Learning never stops.

2. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

The issue here is that she was suspended. This is the problem with the school system today.

One of the stated goals of public education is to create students with critical minds so that they might become better and more useful citizens in he future. Now, I'd imagine that this speech would have taken place as part of a persuasive writing unit.

As part of this task she would have been encouraged to come up with an argument and to put that argument forward. She has found something she has engaged with, argued it passionately and has put forward a critical view with valid points. You may not agree with the points but they are nevertheless reasonable.

In fact her argument isn't that she shouldn't learn maths it is that she should learn maths that is relevant to the real world, such as how mortgages work.

She has done exactly what she was asked to do, she merely got a little carried away with it. The school doesn't have to agree with her views, but she shouldn't be suspended for it. Challenging and questioning instituionalised authority is a big part of what they are taught.

Beelzebub

3. freyja

freyja Well-Known Member

I don't believe she was suspended simply due to the speech- schools have strict guidelines on what they can suspend for. There is more to this story and I daresay it comes down to more than the speech. Don't be fooled.

Peter_Tersteeg likes this.
  4. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

I suck at maths and can not do most of it without a calculator but I'm doing fine in the world.

5. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Agreed. The article states her teacher was in tears. I don't recall any teachers crying because they disagreed with a critical speech.

6. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Passion and Relevance! She had me cheering! If teachers Teachers could interest their students to the point where they will stand up for what they believe! What a wonderful world we would live in, :D
    Cheers!

7. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Apart from fundamental maths, once you've grasped statistics and probability, you're golden.
    Life is all about assessing situations and making a calculated decision.
    If you practiced probability well, you don't even have to calculate, you just - do.

8. Allgood

Allgood Well-Known Member

Wow, as an educator I really think its 'round hole square peg' stuff and there are so many kids that don't, dare I say it, fit our system, which is really sad. But I also agree with those who have said that it's about doing your time. Ive seen so many kids 'fail' the schooling system... heck, I've suspended them... yet they have found their chosen path and become successful, active members of society. It's such a tricky one, isnt it. Often its those teenagers who I get the most pleasure from seeing down the street who are genuinely happy with where they are in life and want to touch base and tell you what they're up to. Good luck to them, I say.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia