Gifts & rent free periods for tenants - your thoughts

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Zoolander, 5th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Both sets of tenants in our family home have given us presents.

2. MissSwiss

MissSwiss Active Member

As a tenant, I usually complete minor repairs myself (that don't cost more than $30) because it's just quicker - fixing broken blinds, outdoor lights, door handles. I don't expect anything in return for this. I don't have to do it, I just choose to do it because it's more convenient for me.

We were given a week's free rent when the entire downstairs level of the house flooded (due to structual issues, not the forces of nature). Frankly, I thought it should have been more, as we weren't able to use the downstairs bedroom and had to move all furniture out. The landlords declined to have the carpet dried while they waited for it to be replaced, so it rotted, it stunk like a sewer and I had to pull it up and drag it out of the bedroom myself (it was so heavy), then store it for over a week until someone came to dispose of it.

So I guess my point is, as a tenant I don't expect gifts of rent-free periods for being a good tenant. But I think rent-free periods as compensation are a must.

Zoolander and WattleIdo like this.