Getting spotlight out of casing

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by LMC78, 5th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LMC78

LMC78 Member

Hi, I'm trying to change the spotlights in my bathroom. I've got it out of the roof etc, the problem is the light bulb is stuck in the case and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it out. The light bulb head is too big to get it out from the back or the front. I've wriggled it, moved it out and it won't come out. It's just rattling loose, stuck. I know it's got to come out. If someone could point out what I'm missing, I'd be most grateful! (see photos attached)

Attached Files:

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Is that a halogen?

Most of those are leave in ceiling and push up on bulb and twist anticlockwise for removal

3. LMC78

LMC78 Member

Hi Westminster, yes it is a halogen light. I did try to turn the bulb + inner rim anti-clockwise. Neither worked. The inner rim is attached to the outer rim so it can't be turned. And there is no way the light will pop through the inner rim .

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Image 1 - what are the screws for ? This could enable bulb backing to be removed ?

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The white inner ring will turn (it should be a bayonnet). I can see the retainer (black thingy) which goes around the light.

It must be taken off from the bottom (not through the back of the fitting).

Speed or comfort :D

6. LMC78

LMC78 Member

No unfortunately not. I took the screws out, it just separates the outer rim from the inner rim, which leaves the inner rim and casing with the lighbulb still in it. I've put the screws back in to re-attach the outer rim to the inner rim/casing but see additional photo attached to show what inner rim/casing looks like

Attached Files:

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I think there a spring loaded clip inside the back cover that sits in place--- if not just use a good hammer and buy a new one..
    [​IMG]

Westminster likes this.
  8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Yeah.....If a lighting store has no idea they can sell you new ones that are low energy LEDs in any event. I have seen a number of them with a stylish plate to address the now smaller hole needed so you can easily retrofit.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia