I have a tenant currently that has a standard NSW fair trading type contract via my PM. His original contract finished at the end of August. He is a builder and he is building a house for himself which has been delayed apparently. I spoke with him regarding a development project before the end of his lease and while we were on the phone he asked me if he can stay until the end of October once his lease has expired. I told him I will have a think and come back to him. After thinking about it that day I personally SMSed him and told him it is unlikely I can allow him to stay as I have paid a builder to do some renovations for me on this property. This SMS went in before the end of his lease. He then complained to my PM as to why I am SMSing him about his expiry while there is a PM. The PM asked me not to sms him again which I complied. The tenant then asked to stay until the end of October and when we said no he said because his lease has already expired he has 3 months notice any way. We agreed that he stays until the end of October as long as he will definitely be leaving and he agreed to this (all of this happened back in September). Now October has come and he has said he needs until the middle of November as his house is not ready. After a few back and forth the PM asked him to agree to staying until middle of November as long as he pays rent all the way till end of December and also he puts it in writing that he will definitely be leaving by middle of November. Tenant initially agreed to this but now again he has come back kicking a fuss and says he will want to stay and within that 3 months period of time notice that he is apparently entitled to he can leave at any point. He is also apparently in default in terms of paying rent and he says he has called electricians and plumbers to fix things etc which we have never heard about. The PM has been proactive and he has asked me to send him a copy of this SMS (that I explained above) and he is saying in the best case scenario we may be able to take action within a month before we get anything legal to get him out of there. I am frustrated as I have paid deposit to a builder and these renovations must happen as soon as possible. Also as we are approaching December, finding another tenant is going to be a pain. Also anything that the builder does will require the private certifier to inspect and issue occupation certificate which delays things even more. I am insured with EBM for landlord and building, not sure to what extent they will cover me. Looking back, I probably would have taken action when he decided not leave to start with, but now I have to find the best possible way to salvage this situation. Any thoughts, especially in terms of the legal parts of this situation and what can be done to speed up the process would be appreciated.