Getting owners information

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 13th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

I thought you could go to the Local Council to get info on who owned blocks of Land,but the Council told me due to privacy reasons they cannot divulge who the owners are ?

If that is the case? Which i dont think it is , but anyway i wanted to know say the owner of a block of Land at 135 Smith Street , Smithfield then is their a way to do that ?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

title search

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Title search and pay for it.

4. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Yes. Rpdata/Pricefinder. But it's not free. Unless you known someone with access who is willing to check for you.

5. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Yes. You put a mailbox on the block of land then wait patiently for the mailman to deliver some mail so you and Moshe can go raid the said mailbox.

pinkboy

albanga, DaveM, Mooze and 2 others like this.
  6. RumpledElf

RumpledElf Well-Known Member

Ugh, I need to do this too since I foolishly bought a property surrounded by vacant land and I can't just pop a note in the neighbour's mailbox.

Good luck to anyone who wants to get in touch with me though, I have a PO box as my registered address and its going to lapse this month (I'm not renewing it as I don't live close enough to check it often) and I'm procrastinating changing addresses on a bunch of things until the new property has settled. Moving house a lot starts to get you into trouble when you own a lot of properties and things and you don't want to lose mail.

I bought my last property when I was in the middle of moving house and didn't actually have a new address to put on the title. THAT was interesting.

7. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I just redirect, and sometimes redirect that too.

8. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

I've used the same one for 25 odd years, never been too far to check it once a week.
    Secure, no snails and much less hassle when moving, still have to advise new resi to govs etc but snail-mail continues to go to the PO box regardless.
    With electronic statements etc etc Much less goes in it these days, but for ~33cents a day I wouldn't be without it.

Ambit likes this.
  9. RumpledElf

Mine is an hour on the train now, and will be about 3 hours away when I move. Redirecting it wasn't an option when I got it as I got it because I got sick of having so many things go missing. Redirecting doesn't always work, half the time they can't even be bothered doing that. I found mail that should have been redirected from my old house SITTING ON THE STREET down from my place. The post office my PO box is in is actually the culprit, I don't always get mail even for the PO box and I've had to get parcels re-sent quite a few times. Its actually a novelty living in my current house. I live 4 doors down from a near identical address so we get a lot of mixed up mail but the people in the other house are pretty good at sending our parcel deliveries down the road and vice versa.

I wish I could charge the post office for the $100s of fines I've got from losing my mail.

Edit: I don't know how much stuff in total went missing, just the ones that called me or I accidentally stumbled upon finding out I was in arrears, or manually chasing up new accounts and forms to set up direct debits and realising they'd cancelled because either I didn't reply or mail got returned to sender. Once I moved in with someone and they got a job I got anything important sent to their work address.

Last edited: 13th Mar, 2016
  10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Just ring up and speak to someone else if you think they're wrong.

11. RumpledElf

Or even if you don't think they're wrong. If one person won't give you their address, call again another day, get a different person, and sweet talk. Play dumb. Wax lyrical about the woeful state of a boundary fence. Its called social engineering, its great ...

Pumpkin likes this.
  12. Terry_w

Yes its true, the council won't give out ownership details - even though this is publically searchable via land titles search. When I was in the AFP 20 years ago it was even difficult then for police to get this information. I imagine it has gotten more difficlut.

Tim & Chrissy likes this.
  13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Auspost has electronic mailboxes - they can receive your mail and scan it. It's then emailed to you. No need to catch the train.

@Terry_w - council will provide neighbouring owners details (last time I looked, I think Ashfield was charging $12 if you are the neighbour and need their details).

Terry_w likes this.
  14. House

House Well-Known Member

Would the title search show just the current owner or all previous owners?

15. Terry_w

Just current. But you could search previous owners too if you wished.

House likes this.
  16. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

In SA the councils have a public register - particularly useful for letterbox dropping as you can shortlist what are PPORs vs rentals.

Terry_w likes this.
  17. RumpledElf

I used to use it mostly for parcels. These days I have the really important mail going to either my accountant or the property manager and both of those email me. I've moved 5 times in 3 years and now I'm collecting properties and own a company, changing address so often is a bit of a debacle. Verifying my identity over the phone for things I don't contact often becomes an address guessing game.

Also, in areas with lower turnover and older residents you can often just door knock the neighbours to find the owner of a property. People are nosy little busybodies.

18. Jennifer Duke

Jennifer Duke Well-Known Member

19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Jennifer Duke likes this.
  20. Jennifer Duke

Jennifer Duke Well-Known Member

Think I might get fired if I share that on here ;). Our research costs are already big bucks!

21. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Probably for the best.
    What other tools do you pay for?

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia