Getting offer accepted without contract - VIC

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by housechopper2, 23rd Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

Found a house I really want to buy that has just come on the market. The agent has indicated the vendor would be open to accepting offers prior to auction for a quick sale.

Trouble is the S32 contract (Vic) is not yet available.

How do I go about getting them to accept an offer now (subject to citing the final contract) so I can get it off the market before any more open homes?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

An oral contract cannot be enforced.
    But you could enter into an incomplete written contract. This would mean you could probably rescind, but the vendor cannot, on the basis that the contract does not have statutory required documents attached.
    But the vendor would probably not provide you with a written contract as they must give you a section 32 statement before you sign - s32 Sale of land act.

housechopper2 and The Y-man like this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

As I say on all these kinds of threads - "reverse the situation."
    Put yourself in the vendor's shoes (or sandals or thongs.... oh hang on havaianas)

You are selling, Your legal team is taking a little longer on the s32 than you hoped ~ but you did tell them "have it ready for auction day".

Your agent calls - someone is interested to put an offer in.

What's your next move?
    What if this person is a dud and you needlessly delay your auction?

If it were me (been in this position before), I would tell the agent
    "Please tell them the offer will need to be unconditional i.e. auction conditions. How much?"
    and wait for the response.

One way I would know the buyer was *really* interested is if they get a building and pest done. No one in their right minds gets a B&P done on a deal they aren't interested in.

The Y-man

housechopper2 likes this.
  4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

In Victoria, ifyour offer is accepted more than three clear business days before the auction date, you get a cooling-off period - according to consumer.vic

In Victoria you cannot contract out of the ability to cool off.

However, if the offer is accepted with less than three clear business days to auction, it’s accepted under auction conditions - ie. unconditional.

5. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

Thanks - this is a great tip! I hope their solicitor just happens to be punctual.

6. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member

You can’t. But ensuring your finance is ready and getting a building inspection done (if you wish) now would help, so you can go unconditional on the contract when it’s ready (subject to the 3 day cooling off period, although that doesn’t apply if the contract is signed within 3 business days of the auction).

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia