Getting Insurance after Contract but before Settlement

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Pumpkin, 18th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I am getting rusty in this area and hope someone can give me a quick answer.
    At what point should a Buyer get Building & Contents Insurance? I thought one only has Insurable Interest after maybe the Contract becomes unconditional. But someone told me they are asked to get one after they signed the Contract.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

I've always gotten my insurance sorted once the contract goes unconditional.

punti likes this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Risk passes at different points in different states. in some states it is settlement others it is contract date.

Perp likes this.
  4. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member

Once the contract is unconditional, to be safe. The vendor is generally supposed to maintain their policy until settlement, but you can’t force them to. If something happens at the property (like a fire or flood) before settlement, your insurance could save the day.

Pumpkin, Joynz and KateSydney like this.
  5. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

I think:
    it is as soon as you have paid money.
    You have a financial 'interest' in the property.
    not 100% sure

6. KateSydney

KateSydney Well-Known Member

The other reason it's safest to do it yourself is public liability. If your property is in Qld, for instance, and if for some reason the vendor has not maintained their policy on the home, you could be held liable from the day after contract day. And you really have no way of knowing if the vendor's policy is still valid or they've forgotten to pay it.
    But I would always say, do whatever your solicitor tells you.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  7. Coconutwheels

Coconutwheels Well-Known Member

Just get it from exchange of contracts, it's not much extra for piece of mind, in qld you are supposed to anyway.

I used to have insurance arranged for just prior to settlement, then I had a house burn down on me not long after exchange (nsw).

Pingu1988 likes this.
  8. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

In QLD you should have insurance once the contracts are co-signed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can get a cover letter that will usually cover about the period until the contract goes unconditional anyway (i.e. 14 days).

Pumpkin likes this.
  9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Insurers have dropped the concept of cover notes since anyone can arrange a policy 24/7 and pay online. These days they issue a quote and you pay then you are insured subject to the policy and can even pay by month where th first month is payable later or on the phone / web. Insurance is subject to cooling off periods so a refund can be obtained. Sort of inverse to the old days.

A Guide to Home Insurance Cover Notes | finder.com.au

KateSydney and Pumpkin like this.
  10. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Oooo I didn't know that! It's been a while since I've had to get a cover letter... used to do it a lot when I was a poor student, to get a few months of free insurance ;)

KateSydney and Pumpkin like this.